You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-6-2021 13:10:01  #1

My 1971 Olympia (Traveller Deluxe) Ultra-Portable...

My new 1971 Olympia (Traveller series).

This one was still made in West Germany and is one of some of the early ones that did not get the Traveller or Traveller Deluxe badging next to the orange "basketball" logo.

But mine is a Traveller Deluxe as it has the 2 ribbon color selection and under the ribbon cover on the right side is its touch-control lever.

Still all metal construction except for the dark-grey plastic "framing" members on both sides.

This one works flawlessly and it very sold, quick and responsive.

This one was a bit higher than I wanted to pay at $ 240...but it does have a factory-mint case to go with it.

And there is not a blemish on the machine or the case !

29-6-2021 14:34:01  #2

Re: My 1971 Olympia (Traveller Deluxe) Ultra-Portable...

The absence of the Traveller badge intrigues me. My first thought was that early models were still called SF, like their predecessors. Here is an interesting movie about that:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaa0RUvBCR4

However, there are multipe Travellers with the badge on the TWDB from 1969. This indicates the Traveller carried its name since its introduction.

I am under the impression that the ones without badge always have an US keyboard. Maybe some trademark and/or legal issue prevented Olympia from using the name Traveller in the US?

29-6-2021 14:58:02  #3

Lau,

Very interesting Video and thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

My 1966 Olympia SF does have the "Deluxe" engraved on the breastplate of its segment.  See photo below.

Wonder why my new 1971 machine does not have such an engraving...???

Regardless of the official name of my machine...it is a heck of an excellent typing machine !

29-6-2021 15:19:57  #4

Pete E. wrote:

My 1966 Olympia SF does have the "Deluxe" engraved on the breastplate of its segment.  See photo below.
Wonder why my new 1971 machine does not have such an engraving...???

I suppose it is one of the many cost reduction measures.

29-6-2021 15:50:28  #5

Pretty sure I've read the same about present/absent DeLuxe label on SM9s, I think. Not sure where I read it if not here. Since I didn't have one yet I didn't pay close attention. All I recall is someone suggested that they come off and get lost. Now that I have one, complete with DeLuxe, I'm not sure how they might manage to come off.

29-6-2021 16:25:25  #6

Yes...If the paint is gone...that is easy to remedy with a bottle of Testor's enamel brush-on paint.  But the metal engraving is sort of hard to make disappear...

29-6-2021 16:57:47  #7

Lau,

Richard Polt has this user-manual on his web site :

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/OlympiaTraveller.pdf

The lead page calls the machine the Olympia SF Deluxe and the illustration(s) show the "new" body styling of the Traveller series.  Not the wedge-shape of the later-production SF machines.

And the top-view illustration shows no mention of "Traveller" of Traveller Deluxe" on the top of the ribbon cover...similiar to what was mentioned in the YouTube video.

30-6-2021 03:30:28  #8

Thanks Pete. This manual too supports my idea Travellers without the badge were for the US only. At the back of the manual is the address of the US importer. I bet your machine have the same address on a sticker at the bottom plate.

30-6-2021 07:03:58  #9

Lau, yes...the sticker on the bottom of my machine indicates the same address for the Distributor out of Sommerville, NJ - USA.

30-6-2021 10:02:57  #10

Another thought...here in the USA there is some history with the Travellers group of people that travel throughout the country and are involved in fraud schemes.  Long history going back decades and decades.  Group mainly of Irish descent.

Board footera