You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-6-2021 13:23:50  #11

Re: My 1971 Olympia (Traveller Deluxe) Ultra-Portable...

You are absolutely right, marketing could be another reason for not using the word Traveller.

30-6-2021 17:04:45  #12

Can you imagine a machine coming out as the "Swindler"... ? lol...

01-7-2021 03:11:38  #13

That's what the Chinese Nakajima clones should be called !  You think that you are buying a new typewriter and you are actually getting a toy that just looks like one. 'You've just been swindled !'  

01-7-2021 10:42:52  #14

They no doubt thought that they could get away with the sub-par build for light use in arts and crafts projects. The average consumer would of course have no idea, but I'm sure there are sufficient reviews now available online to warn them. Alternatively, when the son of my wife's friend developed an interest in trying a typewriter, my wife graciously gave him a Brother from my collection.  It has apparently been used a lot, performed exceptionally well, and most importantly only encouraged his interest.

I've always maintained that until the extensive used inventory of typewriters that exists has been exhausted, new ones shouldn't be produced, particularly not if they're of poor quality and are more likely to end up in land fill than being passed on to another generation. The only shame is that prices for these average, readily available models are continually increasing because buyers are willing to overpay. Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much; if/when I sell off my collection it should result in a nice windfall...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-7-2021 10:50:51  #15

So I added a bit of color-splash to my machine.

I was initially thinking of using bright orange, but this "pistachio" color in Krylon statin paint won the day.

04-7-2021 16:06:39  #16

I was eating pistachios when I opened your post.

05-7-2021 15:15:40  #17

I decided not to go this route...

05-7-2021 15:35:57  #18

While its eye-grabbing, I like the more subdued, nutty tones of the previous one. I think the orange would be distracting.

But the orange would bring more money.

05-7-2021 16:14:58  #19

This orange specimen was not quite "kosher".

It is a basic "Traveller" machine without a 2-color ribbon option function and with no touch-control under the ribbon cover,

Yet...it got a "Traveller Deluxe" ribbon cover at some point in time from another machine. 

The "Deluxe" badging could trip up a buyer if they did not notice what was missing on the machine.

Board footera