You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-7-2021 15:50:05  #1

In-Coming ADDO Model 621 (Facit)...

Made a deal this morning for a nice ADDO Model 621 (Facit ) still made in Sweden.  Probably an early 1970's made-date.

Will know more in a week and will update after my regime of cleaning and servicing.

Here is a link about the history of the firm ADDO and it being acquired by Facit in 1966 :

http://johnwolff.id.au/calculators/Addo/Addo.htm

22-7-2021 12:23:04  #2

Re: In-Coming ADDO Model 621 (Facit)...

All cleaned up, serviced, and ready to go for another 30 years.

Escapement was free, but all the type-slug levers were frozen in place.  2 hours with PB Blaster, denatured alcohol. and compressed air freed them all up.

Everything works...including both Tab systems...manually set and factory default sets.

Silky-smooth carriage tube/bearing system just glides.

23-7-2021 12:58:04  #3

What I find interesting it that ADDO did not include any indication of "Made In Sweden" on the machine (anywhere) or inside the case...as you see on the Facit badged machines & their cases.

Yet the Instruction Manual for the ADDO machines (including mine which they called the Model 621) leads off in the Swedish language.

05-11-2021 08:47:57  #4

I don't know if I'm old fashioned... perhaps I am. But someone really got it right on this one, I mean, the case, the colours, everything seems so 'perfect'... 
Well, it's as my kids say - I'm old.

05-11-2021 16:44:22  #5

Paul,

I did not really "need" another Facit machine...but you are right...those colors and the ADDO brand/badge were just too much for me to pass up.

I did pay a "dear" amount of $ 200 USD...but that is forgotten as soon as I take off the dust cover and start using it. 

Sometimes I will just sit and look at the darn thing and not even load a sheet of paper.

18-6-2022 19:57:04  #6

My new-to-me yellow-coloured Facit man invited his 2 buddies over for a visit...

Funny...their magnetic feet do not stick to the aluminum-alloy body panels.

19-6-2022 05:42:52  #7

Very cool. Love that buttery color with the chocolate keys. Body sure looks like the 1620 with that scooped top.

- Be kind 

19-6-2022 07:54:41  #8

Mikeytap,

It is really a Facit Model 1620 with a few more plastic pieces internally and weight change from 13.4 lbs. to 13.2 lbs.

Facit bought out the ADDO calculator company in the early 1970's and allowed them to continue to operate under their banner and to come out with their version of a typewriter (which was not part of their product line, then).

But it was too late for Facit...loosing out to the flood of products from Japan.

20-6-2022 01:58:35  #9

This ADDO is definitely a visual ode to the 1970's. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely love the industrial design of the Facit portables. So when I add that I feel they type even better than they look*, it is meant as a compliment of the highest magnitude.

*This is certainly true for me when it comes to what I like in a typewriter.

20-6-2022 10:33:47  #10

What is very perplexing is that my ADDO's serial number is :  9,489,385.

(Note that there is even an over-strike of 2 of the digits of the SN.)

Looking through the TWDB for both the Facit models and the ADDO models, shown, those SN's do not even break the 1 million mark in their SN sequencing.

So why does this ADDO machine indicate a number in the 9 million mark range ?

WAG on my part, but maybe ADDO used their SN's from their own previous product line(s) and just blended these ADDO typewriters into that enumeration...???  That is....not sharing the Facit enumeration at all.

Does anyone know if ADDO made millions-and-millions of their calculating machines ?

Board footera