You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-6-2015 21:05:14  #1

Shopgoodwill: Scam? Or Not?

I figured I would start a thread like this because I see very cheap typewriter prices, but the internet shows that there aremixed reveiws. So, does anyone know, scam or not?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

30-6-2015 22:15:00  #2

Re: Shopgoodwill: Scam? Or Not?

What part of Shopgoodwill.com do you feel is a scam? I've purchased quite a bit of stuff from there over the years, and have always received what I paid for. I even bought a huge lot of Polaroid cameras there before and all of them were packed far better than what I've received from Ebay sellers. 

Be sure to check the shipping prices before you bid, as they can sometimes be absolutely ridiculous. This is partly due to the added "handling" fee that some of the stores add to the item. Just like with Ebay, check out the shipping/handling costs in advance, and ask all questions before the auction is over, and you should be fairly happy. Just know that a lot of what they sell is stuff that a donor didn't feel had any value, so there may be a reason it was donated to Goodwill (broken, defective, etc.). 

As I said, I've always had good luck, but I generally have realistic expectations (aka "low expectations") for anything I buy there, and I make sure to ask questions and check the shipping costs before bidding.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

01-7-2015 06:59:15  #3

Ah, ok. Iwas just wondering becase there are mixed reviews, but I trust this forum more than I do like yahoo answrs. 

Back from a long break.

01-7-2015 07:12:12  #4

There are a lot of bad reviews out there.  It's been while since I looked, but I seem to recall people were complaining of shill bids being common.  It seems a lot of those reviews were a couple of years old, I really can't remember, but maybe they've cleaned up their act since then? I've never heard a complaint about them here on TT, but we also don't hear of people buying from them that often (at least in my limited time here).

01-7-2015 16:28:38  #5

Shill bidding is very annoying, and there is much of it on eBay (most buyers don't even realize), so when it comes to auctions it's always best to set a limit in your mind on what you think a typewriter is worth and don't get suckered into bidding a dollar higher than that amount.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-7-2015 00:24:15  #6

Hmmm, shill bidding is incredibly common, whether it's on Shopgoodwill or Ebay. I always set a limit when I bid on something, and then just forget about the auction till I receive an e-mail notifying me if I won. I don't get caught up in the auction frenzy (at least not online... it's much harder to do in the heat of the moment at a real auction!). I'm also pretty frugal with my bids, so I don't win many online auctions anyway. LOL. I win maybe 5-10% of the auctions I bid on. The worst cases of shill bidding, at least that I have seen, have been on Ebay. It's pretty easy to tell, as you'll see an item being sold with 34 bids, only 3-4 bidders, and with 32 of those bids from one person. I then just skip over that auction and avoid the shill bidding drama.

Everything I have bought from Shopgoodwill has been a great deal. The Polaroid lot I mentioned earlier netted me some great cameras, and I even funded the entire purchase by selling off the ones I didn't want. Good stuff. 

If it's something you really want, you can help avoid the shill bidding by placing your bid in the last few seconds before the auction's end time. Anyone that places an early bid is just begging to get some shill bidding BS thrown their way. 

Last edited by Retro-Z (02-7-2015 00:26:31)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

02-7-2015 07:00:00  #7

^ How much did you pay for the lot? I also, sort of collect them, I have two. Theres a place where you can get new film online now.

Back from a long break.

25-2-2016 00:37:37  #8

I've been buying bunches of typewriters from Goodwill since the '80's.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-7-2021 16:18:02  #9

Fast forward to Year 2017.

In the past year or so I have had 5 excellent transactions on SGW.  Either with auctions with not too many bidders and I stick to my "maximum" price or more recently with their BIN offerings they have started to use.

I have not spend over $ 100 (including shipping) and several way under that.

They are all sold/auction by SGW as "as-is"machines and you do not really know what problems with be there in the machine.

With my limited skill set and decent cleaning, servicing, and some repair skills...I have managed to bring all of my SGW buys back to life and/or fine-tuned them.

Shipping from SGW has been top-notch and not one sustained any damage.

Having said all that, I am convinced there are a bunch of crazy bidders willing to go over $ 400+ USD on a machine that is sold as-is/where-is and not even knowing if the machine has a main-spring or an escapement gear still on-board the machine.

25-7-2021 19:44:52  #10

Hard to understand why it would be considered a scam. You certainly have to be careful because pictures don't always tell the tale, but that applies anywhere. I've gotten some nice ones that looked bad and some bad ones that looked good.

I mostly stopped going there because I'm not a collector (or so I tell myself) and 10-12 units is enough for me. But I discovered that a funny thing happens if I go there. I BUY TYPEWRITERS I DON"T NEED!!

I mostly just check the places that are close to me now and offer very cheap shipping, and I only do that every couple weeks.

Board footera