You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-7-2021 15:08:13  #11

Re: Post Editing Now Available! (Disregard for now...)

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their forum.

Last edited by Laurenz van Gaalen (27-7-2021 15:38:30)

27-7-2021 15:11:26  #12

Testing the edit feature. It is 4:11 PM EST.
Nice. It works. It is 4:14 PM EST.
It is still letting me edit it hours later. It is 1:12 AM EST, the following morning.

Last edited by SoucekFan (28-7-2021 00:12:48)

27-7-2021 15:37:30  #13

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their forum.

The 5 minute time window does not work

21:08 created
21:09 edited
21:xx logout + login
21:17 edited
21:33 edited

Last edited by Laurenz van Gaalen (27-7-2021 15:48:19)

27-7-2021 16:42:35  #14

I went back to my very 1st. post here on the Forum from 6-2020 and it even let me "edit" that one if I wanted to.  Looks like it is giving us editing with no time-limitations.

28-7-2021 12:03:57  #15

Hi Pete

As Uwe says, the ability to edit a post once it has been posted is a privilege that must be respected, but can easily be abused. The technique or method I recommend is to pin a word document to your task bar or desk top for easy access. When you want to post something to a forum, open the word document and draft your post in that.

Once it has been spell checked and corrected for grammar and is edited to your satisfaction, copy or cut the text from the word document and post it to the forum. This way, you know you have done the best you can to make sure that what you post is actually what you want to say. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-7-2021 12:47:32  #16

Hi Sky,

I think Uwe was trying to turn on a 5-minute feature that would help folks do a quick review in that short time frame, only.

I am not a proponent of unlimited editing with no time, day, month, year cut-offs.  Seen that on other Forums and it can lead to anarchy. 

04-8-2021 14:49:15  #17

Sky and Pete, you're both absolutely correct. And thank you to everyone who tested the feature out, and proved that it still doesn't work as it should. Unfortunately, I've had to disable the edit function again as a result. If there was money to run this forum on my own server with full control of the software, I would do it in a heartbeat. As is, this is still a fairly decent way to exchange information and I still prefer it over Reddit (and I won't even get into the evils of Facebook! ).

Sorry guys.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-8-2021 15:08:48  #18

No problem, the forum is good as it is. Very happy with it. Absolutely agree with you about Reddit and Facebook. Kudos for running this nice, sane spot on the internet. 

10-8-2021 18:10:17  #19

Uwe wrote:

Sky and Pete, you're both absolutely correct. And thank you to everyone who tested the feature out, and proved that it still doesn't work as it should. Unfortunately, I've had to disable the edit function again as a result. If there was money to run this forum on my own server with full control of the software, I would do it in a heartbeat. As is, this is still a fairly decent way to exchange information and I still prefer it over Reddit (and I won't even get into the evils of Facebook! ).

Sorry guys.

I know this is a free forum but doesn't boardhost provide any support at all when their software doesn't work?

16-8-2021 09:53:38  #20

I have contacted them in the past for other issues, and let's put it this way: I think they are less enthused about helping out non-paying versus paying customers...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera