You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-5-2021 19:06:25  #1

Underwood 5 lower/upper case registration/alignment

I have no idea what I am doing, but I am very mechanically minded and have figured out most of the problems so far. I have a number of repair manuals for this unit, BUT I am at a loss here. I have cleaned and oiled this unit and corrected a number of issues. Currently, my upper/lower case are not aligned horizontally. The lower case is printing solid, the upper case is printing about 1mm high and the top of the letter appears to be missing the ribbon. Printing red gets a total character, and some lower case, like the i and t have the top black. There is still enough play in the ribbon guide to go higher and there seems to be enough play in the carriage to go up a mm but it seems to be hitting something other than the carriage stop pins in front, I think designated as CI on plate 3.
I assume the adjustment is in escapement, but I can't figure that one out.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

29-7-2021 10:00:41  #2

Re: Underwood 5 lower/upper case registration/alignment

I'm having a similar problem with my Underwood 5, though I think it has something to do with the carriage frame alignment. (The frame was fractured and I had to JB Weld it back together, suggesting that something else may be misaligned as well.) One side has more play than the other, though I haven't figured out which side is "correct." In any case, you might find pages 40-43 of the Underwood Typewriter Maintenance & Repair manual at https://archive.org/details/TM10601 to be helpful.

Board footera