You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2021 18:25:11  #1

Underwood 319 basket shift sticks

I just got an Underwood 319 and noticed the capital lock was engaged. I suspect now it was stored for decades with the basket in the capital position. As a result the basket will engage in the capital position but won’t return to the lowercase position. I tried tightening up the two springs, oiling the pivot points, but it still isn’t working right. Is there something I’m missing that someone here can think of as a solution? I’ve never encountered a basket that won’t return to the lower position. 

lynn

22-7-2021 23:13:24  #2

Re: Underwood 319 basket shift sticks

Hi Lynn

Looking at my Underwood 378, which is the same machine but with a blue cover, the first thing that comes to my mind is the vertical pins on which the basket slides. The pins are located just behind and to the inside of the ribbon spools. The left pin is also where the top-stop adjusting screw is located. Maybe some grease on these pins has dried out and gummed the basket in the lower position. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

30-7-2021 14:22:30  #3

Looking into this as possible, but it looks clean enough. Might be some grease might help and I’ll keep trying different stuff. So far nothing seems to make the basket snap into the appropriate place. Frustrating since I replaced springs to no good effect. Thinking it’ll be my ee cummings machine. 

30-7-2021 21:42:14  #4

Hi Lynn

If you are in the USA, pick up a can of Seafoam's Deep Creep penetrating fluid. Its a mixture of light oil, naphtha and isopropyl alcohol. The naphtha dissolves and washes away old oil and grease and the isopropyl alcohol removes any moisture. These two components then evaporate leaving a thin film of light oil to lubricate moving parts. Hope this gives you some ideas to help. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera