You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-8-2021 19:42:27  #1

DIY paper supports

As long as I'm whining about the shortcomings of my typewriters, let me throw my beloved and beautiful 73 Sterling into the fray. This is a wonderful machine, and sooo much easier for me to type on than my SM9s and the typeface is just as perfect. But would it really have been that much trouble to throw in a paper support? Come on, even my featherweight Brothers have paper supports.

I found this page that shows how to make a DIY support from a clothespin and popsicle stick
https://buildingdesks.blogspot.com/2014/11/typewriter-paper-support-anyone-can-make.html

Which looks kinda cheesy but won't work on my Sterling anyway because the angle is wrong on mine. I'm thinking maybe something magnetic, perhaps even as simple as some cardstock stuck to the back with a magnet (which would not be cheesy at all, haha). Or maybe some thing all metal that mimics rabbit ears.

Just curious if anyone else has had to devise a paper support and if so, how they did it. I'm guessing most of you are in more advanced and sophistiscated stages of typewriter disease than I am and may not mess much with supportless machines.

Last edited by overwood (02-8-2021 19:43:28)

02-8-2021 21:51:17  #2

Re: DIY paper supports

Turns out the back of my carriage isn't metal, so my magnet idea won't work there like I had planned. But it works great with a flat magnet and a couple of index cards doubled up and the magnet on the erasure table (or whatever you call that flat thang behind the paper). 

03-8-2021 07:24:30  #3

If I have such need on a machine (and exhausted my search for a replacement part), I would try to use a small, narrow metal ruler, round off the top end, drill a hole at the bottom end (and also another hole on the machine) and then use a small nut & bolt with o-rings or small nylon washers so the ruler (i.e. paper support) can move but not shift when you do not want it to.

Last edited by Pete E. (03-8-2021 07:30:24)

03-8-2021 08:12:32  #4

Let me know if you want to try to graft the paper support from an early 1950s Super 5 Sterling into your machine. I have the parts available, and done right, could be a decent modification.

Phil Forrest

04-8-2021 12:13:50  #5

Thanks Phil, I will see how my cheesy method works for a while and think about whether I want to modify this one permanently. I appreciate the offer

07-8-2021 14:25:56  #6

I have a 1971 Sterling with the same issue.  I used a tongue depressor with masking tape and it works well for me...its bigger than a popsicle stick.  I agree that the Sterling is a great typewriter as is the Classic 12 and Galaxie 12.
https://imgur.com/a/U72FMaG

10-8-2021 18:04:35  #7

MartinD wrote:

I have a 1971 Sterling with the same issue.  I used a tongue depressor with masking tape and it works well for me...its bigger than a popsicle stick.  I agree that the Sterling is a great typewriter as is the Classic 12 and Galaxie 12.
https://imgur.com/a/U72FMaG

Good, another Sterling lover and DIY-er! I'm going to shop around for some thin strips of metal and see if I can make an all metal magnet support. Failing that, the card works OK but the stick looks like it may work better.

13-2-2022 14:08:56  #8

I had the same issue with my first typewriter, a Hema one which is made by Olivetti (very similar to an Underwood... 319 ?).

I used 2 small stick-on bits of velcro on the plastic back, and use them to attach a bit of cardboard (a spare tarot card - tarot decks are smaller to collect, but not necessarily cheaper than typewriters!) on it.

I've also put another 2 small bits of velcro on the inside of the cover, so I can remove the card and stick it there when storing the typewriter.

18-2-2022 11:42:08  #9

This is an interesting idea that I've never really thought about.  I don't really use the paper support even when I have it.  I was actually considering removing it from my Erika as it doesn't fold away.  I did purchase an entire SG3 just for the paper support for my SG1, but I feel like that's different as it's a machine I keep for its features.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

19-2-2022 21:30:55  #10

I could imagine fabricating some sort of paper stand or support out of a nice hardwood, with the result not being attached to the typewriter, but something that sat on the desk immediately at the rear of the machine. It could be reasonably attractive and designed complete with a means of gauging when the end of the page has been reached, like one finds on certain standards. If it were adjustable, with an extendable/retractable vertical arm of some kind, it could even see service with very different machines.

DIY does not have to involve just Velcro and popsicle sticks, though that may well do the job intended.

Board footera