You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-8-2021 14:58:29  #1

Xerox 800 electronic typing system - rarity/general info wanted

I went to an estate sale this last week in Garland, Texas and found this. I’ve only been able to find an extremely limited amount of information online. I wanted to see if anyone on here knows how rare something like this is, and if there’s any more additional information that could be shared. 

Last edited by Uwe (09-8-2021 09:23:32)

09-8-2021 09:27:33  #2

Re: Xerox 800 electronic typing system - rarity/general info wanted

I fixed the image links in your post (when using Imgur make sure the link you use ends with either .jpg or .jpeg).

Wish I could help, but I generally stay clear of electronic typewriters and I don't think that I've ever come across one of these in the wild. It is a good-looking model; did you buy it, and is it in working condition?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-8-2021 12:33:41  #3

Uwe wrote:

I fixed the image links in your post (when using Imgur make sure the link you use ends with either .jpg or .jpeg).

Wish I could help, but I generally stay clear of electronic typewriters and I don't think that I've ever come across one of these in the wild. It is a good-looking model; did you buy it, and is it in working condition?

I appreciate you fixing that, I'm not really familiar with posting to forums. 

I'm unsure if it works, I'm not sure I have the proper equipment to turn it on. From looking at it, it seems like it needs the tower it came with to have power. I did buy it though, it was $40 and the lack of info that I could find online was appealing enough to get it. 

09-8-2021 16:20:56  #4

Is this the tower you mentioned?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-8-2021 18:08:01  #5

Uwe wrote:

Is this the tower you mentioned?

yes this is it

10-8-2021 09:08:27  #6

I'm sure you've already read this, but for the sake of giving context to others I thought I'd post this small description:

Xerox entered the document creation field  in October, 1974 with the 800 Electronic Typing System. Xerox’s first word processing product eliminated the need to completely retype documents that needed corrections. Instead, the revolutionary system saved the first copy of the document on a magnetic card [a magnetic tape system was also available/Uwe]. The typist could then hit a “revise” button and retype only the portion needing to be fixed rather than the whole thing.

After those edits were made, a blank sheet of stationery paper could be placed into the system, and with the press of one “playback” button, the machine would retype the corrected document at a speed of up to 350 words per minute in one of seventeen different typefaces. This product was given the name “world’s most talented typewriter,” and it’s easy to see why.

The Xerox 850 DTS which succeeded this system 8 inch floppy disks.

Source: Xerox

Board footera