You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-8-2021 04:18:27  #11

Re: Remington Remette touch and sound

gaia4us wrote:

I have a 1930 Remington Portable 3 and it was loud until I bought it a new set of feet (sneakers).  Not only did the volume decrease but so did the vibration. When you think about it, isn't vibrating metal the principle behind ringing a bell.

I think you are right, replacing the feet is the next step in the project. The wooden bottom plate also doesn't help, it acts as a sounding board.

13-8-2021 04:19:01  #12

Phil_F_NM wrote:

... For those gear mesh interfaces, I would use something like a 90wt gear oil with a high sulphur content. One drop on a small paintbrush is enough to lube up the appropriate (not all of the lube points) metal to metal interfaces on a whole machine.

Thanks for the tip Phil. I wonder, what is the advantage of the 90wt gear oil over very thin/little sewing machine oil?

13-8-2021 04:30:06  #13

Uwe wrote:

Bumpers are available in a ridiculous number of sizes and shapes, and they're really inexpensive.

I agree, but I have yet to find a place where I can try and buy them. At the moment I can only order them online, either at a high price per unit, or at a lower price per 50 or more. This has prevented me from buying, especially because of the vast amount of sizes and shapes.

13-8-2021 13:14:55  #14

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Thanks for the tip Phil. I wonder, what is the advantage of the 90wt gear oil over very thin/little sewing machine oil? 

Hypoid gear oil tends to be rather sticky, and the latest offerings are also synthetic. Less is needed to paint on a metal/metal interface to provide a high amount of lubrication that stays put where it was brushed. This is just my personal opinion though. I use it for many lube points that don't require fast or reflexive movement from a spring. Places like the gear mesh and bushing points in the ribbon drive, carriage rails and bearings. I know the risk of doing some of these is that they will accumulate dust and cat hair (I have a theory that cat hair is actually the physical manifestation of dark matter, but that is for another off topic post) but when properly stored, our machines shouldn't be gathering dust. I certainly am not one who wants to allow metal/metal interfaces to be run dry because they will wear down and eventually the machine won't work properly. A normally used bicycle chain will wear and "stretch" (from constant polishing of the bushing surfaces) up to 1/8" in a couple months of riding which will cause the whole drivetrain to need replacement once the chain starts skipping. Typing a thousands of words on an unlubed machine is the same and sooner, rather than later, the parts that need lube will polish themselves out of spec.

Phil Forrest

16-8-2021 10:19:13  #15

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

...I have yet to find a place where I can try and buy them.... 

I wonder if they're more popular in North America? I can find bumpers at any hardware store, albeit not in the great variety that you can find online. The last batch I ordered was from Amazon, a variety pack of four different sizes, which was inexpensive. It's likely I'd never use the two smaller sizes on a typewriter, but I've found many uses for bumpers in general over the years - sometimes even for their intended purpose on furniture! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera