You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-11-2015 16:48:05  #141

Re: Another machine destroyed in the post

Re: Kat and the Groma:  It is just possible that the shift lock is siezed in the shifted position or a return spring is off/missing.  You could ask your seller to try pushing the Left Hand shift key down with one hand whilst pulling the Shift Lock key upwards with the other hand to imitate the return spring.  Just a thought ....
Re: The Mystery Olympia SG1: I was wondering if those were special-purpose scales for something like duplicator (mimeograph) stencils or similar.  They look to cover a wider area than the standard scales in the photo.  They may even be for a spirit duplicator.  I am guessing that metal was used because something in the stencil would attack plastic, and that might also be why metal bail rolls were retro-fitted.  I emphasise that this is only an educated guess.  I do not know for certain.

01-11-2015 16:52:28  #142

Ahhh thanks! I'll send another message and ask her to try it. I'm sure she hates me already because I wrote to her once about the courier, and another time about how to pack it... but being fair to me I did tell her I was concerned because of the shifted carriage... Thanks.  

27-2-2021 14:35:40  #143

Figured I'd add my recent story to this thread — I found a near-mint Lettera 32 selling for far less than I could believe, from within the U.S. so no international shipping required. The seller was clearing out estate sales, so didn't know anything about the typewriter hence the low sale price (the shift-lock was also listed as "jammed", and he clearly hadn't tried to figure out how to unlock it). I knew it was likely a quick fix, so I sprung for it and excitedly awaited its arrival.

When I opened the box, the first thing I noticed was that it had been "protected" by just a few sheets of crumpled newspaper on all sides. The handle of the case (which I've always assumed is Bakelite) was broken off, which was the first bad sign. Nothing was rattling around in it so I sighed and hoped it was just the handle, and unzipped the soft case (p.s. the soft case was one of the seemingly rare ones in perfect condition, including the zipper).

I pulled out the 32, and noticed the aluminum shell had a massive crack at the rear left corner — completely severed. While removing the shell to check the condition of the frame, I noticed the rear feet were both at an angle, rather than straight. I knew the frame had been bent due to the same impact that cracked the shell, and when I removed the shell my fears were confirmed.

Thankfully, the seller apologized and immediately refunded my purchase, so I now have a free, otherwise-mint Lettera 32, which gives me reason to attempt straightening the bent frame, and molding a new shell out of carbon fiber At worst, it'll provide some clean spare parts as needed.

As for the condition pre-impact: after examining the innards, it really appears to have never been used — not a single mark on the stop plate, and the letters show no sign of ever having hit the ribbon. Sigh.

Designer × Photographer × Typewriter Enthusiast

Olympia Traveller de Luxe S • Splendid 33 • SM9
Olivetti Studio 44 • Lettera 22 • Lettera 32 • Lettera 35 • Lettera 36 • Lexikon 80
Sears Courier (Lettera 22)

28-2-2021 04:06:39  #144

That is so sad to hear, and not untypical I'm afraid.  When customers send typewriters to me for repair, I always stress that the machine should be in a strong cardboard box much larger than the machine in its carry case, and the space between packed with bubble wrap or crushed newspaper balls to act as a cushion.  What often happens is that the machine is stuffed into a box that is just about the same size as the carry case with the inevitable results, Some of the worst offenders have included a single sheet of corrugated cardboard wrapped around the carry case as sole packing, and a typewriter ratting around in a box with a flat folded newspaper in the bottom !  It really annoys me, when you realise that every typewriter destroyed cannot be replaced because no new ones are being made (I do not include the Chinese Nakajima as it isn't a typewriter - it just looks like one !)

08-3-2021 12:23:55  #145

On eBay I look for sellers that accept a free Return.  Kind of get's you a seller that will take care to pack well so a broken machine does not come back to their home.  I also try to send an email with packaging hints but first will ask if they are familiar with shipping a machine.

14-8-2021 11:54:53  #146

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this topic really hits home, and I want to let you know you're not alone-- I feel your pain.

I just purchased a Silent-Super from FB Marketplace that was virtually pristine. It arrived yesterday with a crushed case, and enough damage done to the front panel/chassis that the space bar wouldn't operate. I thought it would've made the five-hour trip without incident, but I guess I was wrong. Next time I'll take a road trip and pick it up myself!

Board footera