You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-8-2021 15:37:43  #11

Re: Shopgoodwill: Scam? Or Not?

I'm kind of late to the party here, but I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I've been very surprised at the sheer number of negative reviews on SGW considering the luck I've had with them. I've purchased everything from motorcycle accessories, to guitars, to -more recently- typewriters. Another user suggested that prices are often inflated, and I would have to agree-- certain typewriters will sell for double or triple what I've seen them go for locally. This might be because of the benevolence of some folks... perhaps they feel like they're offering up charity yet getting something in return. Then again, maybe people just get caught up in the heat of the moment (ie. bidding war).

Of the couple of typewriters I've ordered, both were reasonably priced: a '69 Olivetti Studio 45 with original case and documentation ($75), and a 1939 Remington Model 5 ($35). Both are also in good cosmetic condition considering their age, and -perhaps most importantly- function well.

I wouldn't hesitate to look to SGW for your next typewriter purchase;  I'd simply caution you to be sensible and realistic with your expectations... understand that any machine you purchase could require substantial repair, adjustment, and a great deal of elbow grease in order to function properly. If this doesn't deter you, bid away!

Board footera