You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-8-2021 18:06:04  #11

Re: Facit TP1 - Upper/Lower Case Alignment...

Mine does have that adjustment screw and locking nut on the right side of the machine for the shift lever...as you mention.

You might try some trial & error with that adjustment screw...just keep track of how many turns or half-turns you have screwed the screw in/out...so you can go back to its "as-found" condition before you loosened the locking nut for it.

12-8-2021 19:17:05  #12

TWDB dates the serial number to 1960.

17-8-2021 07:07:02  #13

I want to give an update on my attempts to resolve the alignment issue on the TP1, and to send out another requestfor help.  Here is where things stand on my TP1:

- The adjustment screws posted in Pete E's picture in this thread are set at their maximal points.  The range on both the upper and lowercase screws exceeds the range of the actual segment itself, which meets with terminal maximal resistance on both its resting and shift engaged position well before the full range of the screws has been exhausted.

- The additional screw with locking nut located on the underside of the right shift lever does not seem to impact the segment range.  Tightening or loosening it only impacts the spring tension on the shift lever itself.

- I wonder if changing the carriage height would make any difference to my alignment problem.  Conceptually, I have doubts, since the alignment is a function of the relative variation between the lowercase and uppercase screws.  That relative variation is already set at its maximal points, so I am not sure how changing the carriage height would alter that relative variation. 

- Still, altering the carriage height might be worth a try, since, for example, raising the carriage height would "lower" the resting position of the segment relative to the platen, perhaps creating a different starting point for the outer parameters of alignment screw variation. 

- **Does anyone have experience with adjusting the carriage height on a Facit TP1?** 

- Any other thoughts?  I do love this TP1, but the tiny alignment issue means that it is likely to languish on my shelf when I reach for a typer.  Since I have reached maximal variation range on the alignment screws, there *must* be another way to alter the alignment.

Thank you in advance to any members with insights on this.  Speculation and brainstorming also welcome in the absence of definitive know-how.

17-8-2021 09:29:02  #14

You may have to adjust the carriage height, but in doing so, you're going down a realignment rabbit hole. The problem with adjusting the height of the carriage, is that you're adjusting the strike point in the typebar travel. Carriage adjustment on the TP-1 is nearly perpendicular to the segment, so you would not really be changing much. If you loosen those screws, you need to make precise witness marks before doing so, in order for you to return the machine to its current state if you get lost or the adjustment doesn't do what you want.
Have you had your platen re-covered? My platen had shrunk significantly since 1959, when this machine was produced. It was as hard as 1020 bar stock and also almost 1mm narrower in diameter. This is a big deal with a machine as precise as the TP-1.

Phil Forrest

17-8-2021 15:14:53  #15

Thanks for the cautions, Phil.  They are well-taken.  Do you happen to know where the vertical adjustment screw/s for the carriage are located?

As for platen recovering: I was waiting to see if I could align it before putting the $ into recovering the platen!  Are you suggesting that recovering it and adding more thickness (even 1 mm) might resolve the alignment problem?

17-8-2021 15:52:48  #16

dragon typer wrote:

Thanks for the cautions, Phil.  They are well-taken.  Do you happen to know where the vertical adjustment screw/s for the carriage are located?

See this link: =13pxhttp://gallery.leica-users.org/d/526413-2/P1000561.JPG
The adjustment screws are in the center of the photo. This is the left side of the typewriter (carriage/line space lever side). The right side of the carriage has a corresponding set of screws.
The screws which set and hold the carriage rail are the pan head ones sitting in a shallow oval depression in the carriage rail. They are on either side of the main adjustment cam/screw which is sitting in a larger oval hole in the carriage rail. Both left and right sides of the typewriter have these screws for adjustment. From here on out, I'm backing away from this one because messing up that alignment is one of those things that a tech is going to be really happy and upset that you have done, if you have to send it out.
Happy because it's going to make that tech much more money. 
Upset because it is not something that anyone should really be messing with and there is going to be frustration and profanity involved in getting it perfect. 
I'm recommending against it, is all.
If you can't get it right, feel free to contact me if you want to sell it.

dragon typer wrote:

As for platen recovering: I was waiting to see if I could align it before putting the $ into recovering the platen!  Are you suggesting that recovering it and adding more thickness (even 1 mm) might resolve the alignment problem?

Yes. The less circumference your letters have to strike is going to affect alignment.
Are you body bushings (and the metal bushing supports) in good condition? Are the segment left and right bearing races completely free of dirt, grime, polymerized oil?
Has the shift lever assembly been bent at all, ever? 

Phil Forrest

17-8-2021 16:11:28  #17

Got it, thank you.

I've removed the carriage on this TP1 and several 1620s, so am familiar with the area you mention.  Just didn't realize the center screw was the vertical carriage adjustment screw.

The question about the body bushings is a good one, and corresponds to bushing-related carriage height problems in the Olympia SM3/4s.  There is some wear on rubber bushings in my TP1, but not enough to impact carriage height, I don't *think.*  But, I could try experimenting with those first, before messing with the carriage height.

The machine is otherwise extremely clean and free of grime and accumulated debris.

Feel free to message me if you want to make an offer for the TP1!

: )

17-8-2021 18:48:43  #18

When you replace the body/chassis rubber bushings, make sure you have the metal inserts which establish appropriate clearance. With these metal sleeves, you can fab up new rubber bushings using automotive vacuum hose and rubber o-rings. There is not really a source for these, though Peter Short said he could make them, but just one set would be cost prohibitive. If a few folks get together, we could have J.J. Short make the molds for the several sizes of rubber bushings for the TP-1 and save a little $$ by volume.

I was looking at the segment on my TP-1 and the linkage which actuates the escapement behind the segment comes really close to a chassis part when the shift key is depressed. Could this be part of what might be hanging up your segment? I haven't had the chance to have the bottom cover off of my machine to try to diagnose this issue, and I'm not sure when I'll get a chance.

Phil Forrest

19-8-2021 17:28:30  #19

Phil, these are all good thoughts, thank you for taking the time to think through this problem with me.   I will update this thread once I am able to spend more time with the TP1.

Board footera