You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-9-2021 17:16:41  #1

1951 Underwood Champion Shift Stops

Greetings All

Bought a 1951 Underwood Champion S/N-L2249536 through local Kijiji. The machine had evidently been taken to pieces by a home tinkerer or a careless technician as several parts had been reinstalled in the wrong places, links were bent out of adjustments and platen so so tight into the type basket that the slugs would have eventually punched holes in the platen.

Finally got everything put back together as it should be and all systems work as they should. The only adjustment I can't find is the upper and lower shift stop adjusters. If anyone could explain to me where I'd find these adjustments (pictures would be great), that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

06-9-2021 16:03:06  #2

Re: 1951 Underwood Champion Shift Stops

Hi Again

Found the shift stop adjusting screws, accessible through a hole in the universal bar underneath the machine. Just need a 3/16" nut driver small enough to fit through the hole to loosen the lock nut, then adjustments can commence. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

07-9-2021 13:35:01  #3

Hi Skye,

Thanks for posting this up.  I looked at my machine (a 1957 Underwood Quiet-Tab Deluxe) this morning and found the adjustment location on the underside of my machine.

And then I came to the Forum and saw you had located on your earlier machine, as well.

07-9-2021 21:35:32  #4

Hi Pete

Just took a look at my 1955 Underwood Quiet Tab Deluxe (A2563796) brown and tan, it has a more accessible square hole in the U-bar as opposed to the little 5/16" round hole. All the best,

Sky

08-9-2021 09:01:19  #5

Sky, you are right...my hole/opening is squarish/rectangular as well.

Here is my machine.  The case was a mess...so I repaired and repainted it.

Board footera