You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-9-2021 13:45:27  #1821

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Maroon Olympia SM2 is inbound. I can't believe the price I paid for it (I was expecting $100 more.) The missus loves this color on the Smith-Corona 2C machines, but those are rare as hen's teeth and I've never seen one sell for less than $300. The Olympia is different but also a superb machine. The finish is crinkle paint, not gloss and I hope she enjoys the machine. I'll have to sell her on carriage shift, so this machine is going to be a full restoration, new platen rubber, new feet, new bushings, possibly new springs for the carriage shift, if I can't make that adjustment myself. I "adjusted" the spring which assists lifting the carriage of my Remington Noiseless Model 7 by bending the tab that the spring hooks to just a tad. That little bit lightened the shift feel. 
I've never been inside an SM2, but I know there are carriage dragging issues due to old rubber collapsing. Otherwise, from what I've read of the SM2 and SM3/4 they type wonderfully.
Phil Forrest

14-10-2021 20:56:58  #1822

My first Remington -- a Standard from 1956 -- showed up yesterday at my favorite thrift store. 
Spent the afternoon doing some light cleaning and installing a new ribbon, a unique experience given this machine's permanent spools. It types fine with great alignment. Next I'll have to fashion something for the missing  knobs on the tension and color selection levers. Looking for some 1/4-inch copper or aluminum rod.

15-10-2021 14:14:56  #1823

I really like the Super-Riter. Remington plastic control knobs are notorious for falling off, but as you alluded to this model uses metal ones, which I've found don't tend to go missing as often. Anodized aluminum might add some pop to the office machine's dour colourway...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-1-2022 17:43:28  #1824

A new acquisition today - this lovely Imperial 58. It needs a good clean, but is complete and in full working order with only a little patina on the exposed metal parts (I won't be cleaning it as I'll be selling it on, and they always seem to sell better in "attic find" condition!)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

This one partly makes up for the Royal Model 10 I acquired a few weeks ago, and for which I found a buyer almost immediately...unfortunately, despite it being enormous and about the same weight as a small car, the courier somehow managed to lose it and its current whereabouts are unknown. I hope, that if someone has found it, they know what it is and will appreciate it.

06-1-2022 17:49:17  #1825

13-1-2022 19:58:06  #1826

I'm scrolling through looking at people's typewriters and thinking about sharing my lego one, but did I just see darkroom?  Hello fellow darkroom photographers!  I have my own set up right next to where I fix typewriters, and making typewriter prints is a wonderful mingling of the two.  No large format though, I only have the tools to process 35, 127, and 120

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

14-1-2022 15:21:42  #1827

New typer, just picked up my first German typewriter, an SM8 Olympus. I know you all have seen enough shots of SM9s so thought I'd have fun with some macro lens detail shots.

- Be kind 

14-1-2022 15:25:25  #1828

DOH, 
s/b Olumpia

- Be kind 

14-1-2022 16:28:39  #1829

mikeytap wrote:

DOH, s/b Olumpia 

The Olympus slip I can understand (it's one of my favorite camera manufacturers). On top of that some companies made typewriters AND photographic equipment. However, calling your SM-8 an Olumpia seems a little bit harsh; after all, Olympia made some great machines! And did you get a SM-8 or SM-9? I haven't looked at the photos and your description mentions both models... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-1-2022 17:15:54  #1830

OlyUmpia, sigh. I'm going to open a bottle of wine now. 

- Be kind 

Board footera