You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-8-2021 21:27:57  #891

Re: New Member Thread

Greetings Everyone, I have long-used this forum as a resource for repair as well as for learning about typewriters that I don't (yet) have.  I'd now like to say hello.   I am currently caring for approximately 30 typewriters with a nice selection from every decade from the 1920s to 1980s.  I use my typewriters to write short essays, short stories, letters, lists, and to record my dreams!  I love repairing typewriters almost as as much as I love writing with them.  I don't use Facebook, so it's very nice to have a non-Facebook alternative for all things typewriters!  My thanks to Uwe for creating and maintaining this fantastic community across so many years.

12-10-2021 18:17:07  #892

Greetings fellow Typewriterists! I’m new to the forum and I’m glad to be here! I’m interested in everything Typewriter related (especially Royal typewriters) and I’m happy to have found a community as obsessed as I am!

17-10-2021 11:41:12  #893

My name is George and I live in Eugene, Oregon USA. I’ve had a long journey that can be described as “to there and back again.” When I was a bit younger, sometime in the early 1960s, dad brought home a Remington 12 typewriter. I loved typing on that machine. I have no idea how many reams of paper I consumed taking notes and copying book passages for whatever my interests were at the time.  Sometime during the 70s I bought a new portable Sears typewriter and I think the folks gave the Remington away.  When I first acquired a computer in early 1980s I became enamored with the new technology and the typewriter became lost at some point. Then as I approached “retirement” I developed an interest in cursive handwriting with fountain pens.  My long time love of stationery in the form of pens, ink and paper became a bit of an obsession. Having worked in heavy construction over 50 years my hands are a bit arthritic and handwriting has gradually become more difficult. When my neighbor mentioned having a number of typewriters he had, the seed to another form of analog writing was once again sown. Sadly, living in a small city, finding usable typewriters in person is not readily possible. I spent time researching and browsing online sources and one day found a Craigslist post of someone giving away an IBM Selectric 2 machine for free and only an hours drive away. It was very sticky inside and dusty but the motor started and a key could be struck with at least a 30 second wait before it could be struck again. Perhaps I could clean it. Hah! Little did I know how complex this amazing mechanical machine was. I found a shop in Portland, OR that would clean it for a fair fee but they had at least a two month backlog. I looked at a manual Smith-Corona someone was selling but it was also sticky, dusty so I kept looking. Then I saw Craigslist posts for a number of manual machines in Canby. I decided to take the 100 mile drive and after trying a few machines I came home with a very nice green Olympia SM4. My neighbor gave me a Selectric 2 that needed a bit of TLC and he had a friend that had once been a business machine tech, now retired. That machine, while still not perfect, once started works great until shutoff.  So I now have both an electric and a portable manual and my love of typewriters is once again kindled!

19-10-2021 14:30:09  #894

Welcome to the forum, George!
And a belated welcome to dragon typer and Matt!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-10-2021 14:52:15  #895

Thank you Uwe. I've gathered that the typewriter is once again increasing in popularity as have fountain pens for writing tools. However there are still makers of fountain pens; not so typewriters. Plus once the typewriter technicians become more scarce, how will the knowledge be passed on? 

20-10-2021 08:54:25  #896

Typewriter manufacturers actually still exist, albeit not to the standards that existed when a typewriter was the typical household printer. And although you can still buy new machines, few here will tell you that they are a good investment.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-11-2021 13:34:23  #897

Hello all!  My name is Joel and I am a recent entrant to the world of typewriters.  Earlier this year I was helping my Mother clean out some stuff and we found my Dad's old typewriter.  I took it for a spin and really enjoyed using it, so I went out in search of one to call my own.  Now, I have several and am really enjoying learning about new brands and models.  There haven't been many brands/models that I flatout dislike, but I tend to gravitate towards 50s/60s models and earlyish electrics.

Besides typewriters, I really like classic movies, fountain pens, and modern boardgames. 

25-11-2021 15:15:35  #898

The '50s and early '60s models are in my wheelhouse too; welcome to the forum, Joel!

29-11-2021 19:21:10  #899

Hi all, I just discovered this site today whilst researching the Imperial Model 10. I live in Cambridge in the UK, and I'm a researcher/appraiser for a company which trades in antique, vintage and collectible items to raise money for charity. Typewriters aren't my main interest (vintage cameras are more my scene), but I do see a lot of them - in the last week, in addition to the Imperial, I've had a Royal Model 10, a Royal Model P, an Olympia Traveller de Luxe, a Silver-Reed Silverette and a Corona Model 3 on my appraisals desk and I can definitely see why you're all fascinated by them - so perhaps it's my destiny to become a typewriter fan!

30-11-2021 21:36:28  #900

Welcome aboard, John. Given your job, it will of course be interesting to read what other models you come across. 

Board footera