You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-11-2021 09:08:59  #11

Re: Facit Man Figurine...

Found this good slide-show link about Facit and the so-called "Facit Disease".

Many photos of the Facit figurines, typewriters, and history of the firm.

https://www.slideshare.net/Christiansandstrom/calculators-disrupted-presentation-780029

24-11-2021 09:25:12  #12

Store display photo :

25-11-2021 05:24:17  #13

That slideshow could have been about the typewriter industry as a whole.  Exactly the same thing happened, and very quickly in the early 1990's.  Havin gone from mechanical typewriters to electronic, most manufacturers probably thought that they had saved the day - until computers with word processor programmes wiped the market out almost overnight.  I lived through this in my career as a typewriter engineer and it made me very depressed at the time - like drifting helplessly down a river on a raft towards a weir, knowing that you were going to go over no matter how hard you paddled.  The present typewriter revival is great, but we are only preserving the past since most of the typewriter industry and its support network has gone.  I tell younger people that 40 years ago you would find a typewriter wherever you find a computer now - offices, banks, industry etc.

25-11-2021 08:57:59  #14

I have fond memories of carrying around a Royal ultra-portble at the State University I attended and going to the Student Union building in between classes to do some reading and type-writing. 

The Student Union was one of those massive 4-5 story poured-in-place concrete structures with a 4-story atrium in the center and student sitting/studying areas all around.  The sound of many typewriters at work was deafening most times. 

By the time I graduated, the Student Union got a lot quieter.  1979 to 1983.

25-11-2021 13:16:42  #15

Poignant comments, Tom. What computers and word processors did to the typewriter industry is similar to what the internet is doing to print publications and professional writing right now. 

Pete, I was slightly behind you; by the time I was in high school electric typewriters were the norm, and the early word processors and personal computers (a Commodore 64 was my first) were already replacing them. 

As for getting hooked on one brand, it has to be a fairly common thing. When collecting and researching involves myriad makes and models, focusing on just one brand can make it a more easily surmountable challenge. I'm definitely more fond of certain manufacturers than others, but I vehemently disagree with the claims of some typewriter enthusiasts that one brand/model is superior to all others. In my experience most manufacturers produced outstanding models and that suggesting one to be far better is purely a subjective exercise.

I still maintain one of us (probably you, since you own them) should reproduce that Facit men...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-11-2021 17:05:40  #16

Someone thought this would be good for sales...

Guitarist and upright bass player trying to figure out how to play with a sales poster hung on their chests. 

Some of them even wearing full-sized versions of the Facit Wizard hats.

25-11-2021 17:12:10  #17

Uwe,

Some years back in another collector hobby, I stood up to have some decorative embroidered patches made as there seemingly was enough interest with a poll taken ahead of getting the patches made to gauge interest  and within a certain price point.

3-4 years later, I still had the initial box of 500 units almost un-touched in my garage.  Folks that had indicated they would "be in" and would take 2-3-4 patches...just evaporated when the patches arrived and it was time to pay up and ship out.

That old dusty box did not make our retirement-move up to Idaho State.

Lesson learned...

25-11-2021 17:25:05  #18

I fully understand that as I've been involved in similar projects, which is why I approach it from the other direction: pay first - order later! It never fails that when it's time to put cash on the table, the big talkers become silent...

And now you have me curious. How about a photo of said patch? Maybe you'll get some sales here...  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-11-2021 19:51:39  #19

Hi Uwe,

It was for a Swiss Gun Collectors association and we did not save the un-sold inventory of patches...they went into the dumpster in our haste of moving out of our previous home of 26 years...2 dumpsters full. 

Rule was if we had not used it in over 1 year and no charities wanted it, it went in the dumpster.  We were paying for this "last" move in our lives out of our own pockets...so wanted the moving van as light as possible.

I thought I had photos of the artwork or the completed patches...but when we dumped MicroSoft operating systems & software on our PC's and went to the Linux world...a bunch of stuff was discarded.

07-12-2021 08:25:41  #20

Board footera