You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-10-2021 15:52:56  #21

Re: Crazy Happenings over on Shop Goodwill...

Its pretty though. Color seems to sell more than machine when it comes to typewriters. That's why some people "refurbish" them to non-original eye-grabbing candy colors that sell.

08-11-2021 19:52:08  #22

Yes...this repaint sure makes me drool...

09-11-2021 11:31:55  #23

Will it remain sold this time? 

As much as I dislike the practice of changing colours to non-original offerings, what bothers me more is that these reselling opportunists often don't factor in the colour of the keys. Take the example above: yes, those pastels look nice on a typewriter, but they don't work with the dark green keys and platen knobs. That's something a manufacturer would never do, and it's a tell-tale sign of a repaint.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-12-2021 11:27:46  #24

This time the craziness applies to a dirty, somewhat corroded Facit TP1 from 1961. A great typewriter, to be sure, but this sample has been inflated to over $1000 with a day left on the auction!
Sometimes SGW is an interesting observational study into impulsivity and competition. I bet the "high bidder" doesn't pay and we see this machine relisted in two weeks.

Phil Forrest

02-12-2021 11:44:03  #25

Looking at current and recent auctions that have closed for high amounts, most of them are by bidder j******n.
This includes a recently closed Optima Elite 3, the aforementioned Facit TP1, two Hermes 3000s (one first body style, the other the second body style,) and a Facit TP2. All are currently above $1000. The second highest bidder overall is d********r, who seems to stop bidding under $600. Both are inflating prices of otherwise pedestrian machines well into the stratosphere.
Phil Forrest

02-12-2021 14:06:34  #26

My most recent "win" on SGW was back in 6-2021 for this very nice 1959 Everest K2.  I went over my typical self-imposed limit for an "as is" machine on SGW of $ 100.  It cost me $ 118 plus another $ 18 to get it home.

Lucky for me, all it needed was some deep cleaning, light oiling, new ribbons and case clean ups.

I was expecting lots of work...and that was not required.

But if I can win on SGW for $ 40-60...I am even a happier camper.

02-12-2021 15:26:55  #27

Phil_F_NM wrote:

... Sometimes SGW is an interesting observational study into impulsivity and competition. ...

Based on the auctions you just mentioned, it seems to me that it's mostly a study in online sabotage and childish behavior. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-12-2021 21:48:36  #28

Uwe wrote:

Phil_F_NM wrote:

... Sometimes SGW is an interesting observational study into impulsivity and competition. ...

Based on the auctions you just mentioned, it seems to me that it's mostly a study in online sabotage and childish behavior. 

Very true. I expect really nice, early body style Hermes 3000 samples to regularly hit $300 but over $1000 is insane.
Phil Forrest

02-12-2021 22:58:43  #29

Obliquely relevant, perhaps.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-investigations/2019/06/24/auction-nation-online-auction-uses-house-bidders-drive-up-prices-republic-analysis-finds/1142972001/

The new web design pretty much broke my SGW experience. None of my searches work, there's always a notice that I have a response to a ticket that was closed long ago, its slow as a slug in mud, and more. 

03-12-2021 08:48:16  #30

There is a gun auction outfit in the USA.  Their auctions usually occur on weekends with in-person bidding, on-line bidding, and telephone bidding simultaneously.

During the week, they also run a retail gun shop with employees.

These same employees are "peppered" along the in-person bidders during the auction event and work to place shill-bids.

The State allows such bidding by auction house employees to "protect the reserve"...but these folks in the audience do not stop once the reserve is met.

Many times the "winner" is one of these employees in the audience, the item is noted as "Sold"  yet the same item will reappear in the next auction held 3 months later and sometimes several more times until a "real" win is scored.

Board footera