You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-12-2021 13:30:06  #31

Re: Crazy Happenings over on Shop Goodwill...

I used to attend a fair number of auctions, not for typewriters, although I did buy a number of items from a defunct typewriter factory once during the early '90s. At the time collecting typewriters wasn't an interest, but I still can't forgive myself for what happened to all of the IBM parts that were in one of the supply cabinets I bought.

My drawn out point is that I've seen a lot of craziness at auctions, and I quickly learned that when it comes to auctions - online or in person - you have to leave emotion out of it, really know your prices, and be prepared to walk away from it once the biding eclipses your previously established maximum.

I don't know how many times I watched the bidding for items go far higher than their full retail prices, and this after having started at a fraction of that amount. The dumbest of the dumb were those bidding up the price of lot items that were to be sold individually (the bidding was to establish the cost of each item). Like so many selling systems and product marketing strategies, the psychological weaknesses of buyers is used to full advantage, and often to great success.

Similarly, the outrageous prices that typewriters are currently fetching is solely the blame of the current crop of buyers. If buyers remained patient, and only paid what was realistic given the available supply of typewriters, those prices would quickly drop.

As Phil pointed out, the first gen Hermes 3000 is typically a $300 typewriter. Is it worth that? Never. It's colour, form, and a lot of hype has turned it into a more desirable model, and there seems to be no end of people who will fork over ten times what it's worth. The last 3000 I bought was a couple of years ago - just before the pandemic started - and it cost me $30. My buying strategy is simple: a lot of patience, a lot of looking (arguably the best part of collecting), and the exploitation of an opportunity rather than chasing specific models with inflated prices.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-12-2021 16:54:40  #32

I recently saw an Underwood Finger Flite Champion two tone go for over $800, if I recall correctly. I was paying attention because it would have made a nice gift for my sister, back when it was under $75. This is a nice looking typewriter that is awful to work on, if anything in the escapement needs service. Once it passed about $75 I just sat back and grabbed the popcorn. I think I've seen that same machine up since. 

Phil Forrest

03-12-2021 18:24:39  #33

Yup. The only thing I have paid more than 30 or 35 bucks for have been SM9s, and I didn't pay a lot more for those. If I can't get a typewriter to my door for 30 or 35 bucks I don't need it. Of course I have more pedestrian tastes than many collectors.

Uwe wrote:

I used to attend a fair number of auctions, not for typewriters, although I did buy a number of items from a defunct typewriter factory once during the early '90s. At the time collecting typewriters wasn't an interest, but I still can't forgive myself for what happened to all of the IBM parts that were in one of the supply cabinets I bought.

My drawn out point is that I've seen a lot of craziness at auctions, and I quickly learned that when it comes to auctions - online or in person - you have to leave emotion out of it, really know your prices, and be prepared to walk away from it once the biding eclipses your previously established maximum.

I don't know how many times I watched the bidding for items go far higher than their full retail prices, and this after having started at a fraction of that amount. The dumbest of the dumb were those bidding up the price of lot items that were to be sold individually (the bidding was to establish the cost of each item). Like so many selling systems and product marketing strategies, the psychological weaknesses of buyers is used to full advantage, and often to great success.

Similarly, the outrageous prices that typewriters are currently fetching is solely the blame of the current crop of buyers. If buyers remained patient, and only paid what was realistic given the available supply of typewriters, those prices would quickly drop.

As Phil pointed out, the first gen Hermes 3000 is typically a $300 typewriter. Is it worth that? Never. It's colour, form, and a lot of hype has turned it into a more desirable model, and there seems to be no end of people who will fork over ten times what it's worth. The last 3000 I bought was a couple of years ago - just before the pandemic started - and it cost me $30. My buying strategy is simple: a lot of patience, a lot of looking (arguably the best part of collecting), and the exploitation of an opportunity rather than chasing specific models with inflated prices.

04-12-2021 17:24:39  #34

And a gray Olympia SM3 just closed on SGW for $1000! 
Phil Forrest

04-12-2021 17:32:59  #35

My fully-serviced 1957 SM3 which I paid $ 250 for now seems like a good deal... LOL 

04-12-2021 23:42:25  #36

There's a late model QDL that's closing in on 2 grand...

05-12-2021 09:37:02  #37

J******n won both of those Facits at just over 1000 and d********r was second at just over 1000 as well. d********r is also a bidder on the skyrocketing 58 QDL.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/134733395

This is definitely verrrrrrry fishy.  I can't even find the terms of agreement on the site anymore to see if there is some language that allows this crap, since the "upgrade" has almost completely broken the site for me

05-12-2021 11:04:39  #38

That QDL is insane. The white paint version is uncommon but that price is 40 times what it should be.
The terms of use of the site are ALL the way down at the bottom of the page. Section about bidding is most of the way through the agreement. I agree that the new UI of the site is awful. Bloated, slow, always defaults to the login, and won't seem to save my login credentials.
This is simply ridiculous. Good thing I have a lot more to do these days with the new house, a garage in which to work on my car, and plenty of clients for work.

Phil Forrest

05-12-2021 20:45:53  #39

Phil_F_NM wrote:

That QDL is insane. The white paint version is uncommon but that price is 40 times what it should be.

Sold for $2002 dollars!!

06-12-2021 08:36:21  #40

With the new SGW web-site upgrade and even when I log-on to my Account...the Bid History now longer expands for me to see the details of the bidding.

Anyone else having that problem or is it just me running Linux Mint as my operating system ???

Board footera