You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-1-2022 22:54:35  #1

Line adjustment / platen line skipping

Hello all! I have a Royal Century 1969 that seems to have some line adjustment issues. As I rotate the platen knob, it seems to be working normally, but there are spots where the lines don't catch at all. I don't know how to approach fixing this and definitely don't want to break anything, let me know!

Also, I don't know how to remove the platen, so any help in that regard would be great.

Here are some video links describing my issue (narrated by me, haha!)

Video one: https://youtu.be/hm2HqHFEmFE
Video two: https://youtu.be/mUBqIJjYyQ0

Thank you all! - Carson

04-1-2022 20:43:27  #2

Re: Line adjustment / platen line skipping

Hi Carson

Great video clip, I can see exactly what's happened. The Royal you have there is a rebranded Silver Reed made in Japan. The line advance ratchet wheel has come off its mooring. Grasp the platen with your right hand and turn the left hand platen knob towards you with your left hand The platen knob should come loose and allow you to move the ratchet wheel.

The left hand platen knob is held on by a left hand thread and is the line finder. Once the left platen knob is loose, you should be able to get the ratchet wheel centered back on its mooring and tighten the left platen knob. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-1-2022 21:54:04  #3

Re: Line adjustment / platen line skipping

Hi Again Carson

Looking at your second video clip wondering how to get the platen out, once the left platen knob is loose, spin it all the way off and you can lift the platen out. Once the platen knob is off, you'll also see that the ratchet wheel sits on the reduced diameter section of the platen knob bushing.

A couple of tips when it comes to removing the platen, well actually three.
1, move the line selector lever all the way forward to zero as this will release tension on the line indexing detent roller.
2, Move the paper release lever all the way back so the feed rolls are not pressing on the platen.
3, Take pictures of how the mechanism on the left end of the platen is put together, these can be a little tricky to get everything back in its proper place.

All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera