You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-1-2022 22:12:52  #1

Qdl

I finally scored another inexpensive (the last one?) early 50s QDL, but the clowns didn't even lock it into the case properly and there was no padding whatsoever. Just the case in a tight box, with the partially secured typewriter inside.

I don't know if that's what caused the issue, but

Pictures later if needed but for now
1) The shift "catches". I can get it past the catch by pushing hard enough (which I obviously don't want to do) or pressing my finger gently on part of the mechanism below while I push the key.

2) the margin release doesn't seem to work at all. I could be wrong but I suspect just by "feel" these 2 are related.

Ideas to get me started? I looked underneath and nothing jumped out at me, but I suspect its something near the very rear of the unit, where both the margin release and shift mechanisms meander. Could be completely wrong about that too

10-1-2022 23:37:32  #2

Re: Qdl

Oh, it has the famous non functional backspace that I know I've read about too, though I don't remember what I read. Will do some searching but I know there is a fix for that at least.

11-1-2022 08:49:28  #3

I found the shift issue, I think, and I will definitely blame it on not being locked into the case properly. Part of the mechanism is bent, which could only happen (IMO) by getting bounced around against the locking lever in the bottom of the case. I think I should be able to fix it but will post pictures later.

11-1-2022 11:45:07  #4

overwood wrote:

Oh, it has the famous non functional backspace that I know I've read about too, though I don't remember what I read. Will do some searching but I know there is a fix for that at least.

Here's the fix, Overwood:
https://www.reddit.com/r/typewriters/comments/56p9zt/royal_quiet_de_luxe_backspace_fix/
Thanks to u/andreccantin on reddit. It has worked for me several times (and not failed at all). Sorry to hear you are suffering from the famous shipper packaging problem.

11-1-2022 20:54:15  #5

M. Höhne wrote:

overwood wrote:

Here's the fix, Overwood:
https://www.reddit.com/r/typewriters/comments/56p9zt/royal_quiet_de_luxe_backspace_fix/
Thanks to u/andreccantin on reddit. It has worked for me several times (and not failed at all). Sorry to hear you are suffering from the famous shipper packaging problem.

Thanks, I found that page last night but have an issue with that site so I didn't want to publicize. I'm going to work on the shift issue first I think. If I can't type, there's no need to backspace.

Here's what I found: (there IS an image below, for those of you who can't see it. )

That bent over part got bent even more, which I believe is the source of the problem because when I pull back on Doohickey A just a tiny bit (about the same amount as if that tab wasn't bent past 90 degrees), the shift works without catching. I can't for the life of me see why because I can't see what Doohicky A actually does, but I may not need to see or know in order to fix it.

11-1-2022 22:35:08  #6

Got my shift key working, but I just keep noticing more issues. I wonder how all the people are faring that are paying 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8 times as much as I did on SGW every week. Did I just luck out and get the lemon of the bunch, because they keep paying more than I think they're worth. Or maybe everyone else is just a more motivated and skilled repair tech than I am.

12-1-2022 22:06:58  #7

So, any ideas on the margin release issue?

I can wait on that one but my next order of business is this: the spacing becomes closer together at the end of a line, and the carriage seems to visibly "slip" right before that issue starts starts and it really never quite makes it all the way to the margin. I'm assuming it has something to do with the drawcord or the drawing of the cord or the sliding of the carriage, none of which I approach with great relish due to past experience.

13-1-2022 19:39:25  #8

Hey Overwood, the margin release on these are pretty common.  There are three things to look for.  First, check out the margin bar on the back of the machine and make sure it has free range of motion, second, check the wire linkage from the key to the bar and make sure it isn't bent, and finally, make sure that the margin release return spring, located on the rear bottom of the machine (next to the central support bracket) is present.  It pulls the margin bar down, and hooks onto the edge of the frame on the bottom.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

14-1-2022 08:50:10  #9

Thanks Lucas. The margin is the lesser of my concerns now, and I keep finding more obvious damage from the shoddy shipping. 3 levers bent, 1 broken, plus the bent shift tab plus the margin issues plus the carriage problems. Based on the pictures and how it looks inside, this unit was nearly pristine. Now I may give up on it for junk or parts. I've asked for a refund.

15-1-2022 18:45:54  #10

A refund is in order.  If it's complete and trying to work, I'd say to fix everything you see that's obviously broken and see if that doesn't sort the other issues.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera