You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2021 08:10:45  #1

LEGO Typewriter

I tripped over this while online today and have to say that it really surprised me.

This soon-to-be released (1-Jul-21) Lego typewriter looks really cool and you can see design elements of a number of different models in it; however, considering its $270 CAD price tag, I'll just continue to admire it from afar. I loved Lego as a kid when they were inexpensive and simple, but I now consider the current plastic building block kits to be over-priced. 

Can anyone here see themselves splurging on this kit?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2021 08:37:12  #2

Re: LEGO Typewriter

Yes I’ve seen this. I was also quite surprised. What bugs me is that on the official product page the Lego marketing team decided to claim that it was designed after the typewriter used by Ole Kirk Christiansen. The designers themselves said it was based on no particular machine, and there is obviously no resemblance to an Erika 10.

The base design is nice enough, however Lego once again used all sorts of silly colors on the inside. Much of this is still easily visible once its assembled. I also don’t understand the use of those brown colored bits on the sides.

Nice however is the inclusion of an actual escapement, and ability to feed paper, a "working" paper bail and the design decision to make every key functional. Also the keys are printed.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

17-6-2021 18:21:00  #3

Would rather take my $ 200-250 stash and apply it to a real machine or two that are still on my wish-list.

01-7-2021 11:52:12  #4

Too bad only one (1) type-slug lever moves...but the "machine" (i.e. toy) does not put ink on paper, at all.

Too much money $ 200-250 or so...to come out of my wallet for a display toy.

13-1-2022 20:02:13  #5

you can't expect a lego typewriter to put ink on a page ;)  for what it is, I think it was very well done.  I'm impressed with the internal mechanisms, particularly the escapement.  From a part standpoint, especially with the color and print tiles, I think it's pretty fair.  

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera