You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-1-2022 19:42:46  #11

Re: (NLR) WTB: Olympia SM4 Carrying Case

I got an SM3 tweed case, missing the lock on the front.  Suppose you could have it for cost of shipping and material.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

13-1-2022 22:10:57  #12

Lucas, thank you very much for the offer. I bought the case Pete pointed me towards in the second post. It was in very good condition for a formed wood, synthetic material covered 50-60 year old item. I do wonder how long the cases were made because I also have a similar style larger case with an early SM9 wide-carriage typewriter?

20-1-2022 08:48:39  #13

When I acquired my 1968 Olympia SM9, its case needed some mending and the vinyl covering would just not clean up to my satisfaction.

So I patched and repainted the case and polished up all the chrome bits.

20-1-2022 10:47:10  #14

I did the same with the case for my Olympia SM7.

I went with a green color that had a bit more "pop" than the original green color.

20-1-2022 11:00:59  #15

Pete, nice looking cases! Did you apply new vinyl or how did you fix the gaps?

George

20-1-2022 12:03:06  #16

Hi George,

I patch the area with a smooth coating of Latex caulking (that contains absolutely 0% silicone).  If there is silicone, it will not take the paint, right.

As the caulking sets up for 1-2 hours or so, I use some of my spring hooks and even my dental picks to recreate the "pattern" of the original covering into the latex caulking.  Once the caulking is  completely dry, I will give it a slight sanding with 800 grit and then apply a bit of paint primer before I take spray paint cans to the case.

For other case textures, I will use pieces of dry natural sponges and use a dabbing technique.

Lots of trial & error.

20-1-2022 12:45:05  #17

Pete, I'd say your 'trial and error' crafting skills are very well honed because the results looks great! Thanks for posting.

George

20-1-2022 15:37:46  #18

Wow, that case looks fabulous

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

20-1-2022 16:46:51  #19

With our winters, I do not do much case work until spring/summer/fall.  I enjoy opening up the garage and setting up in the driveway.

I find this case work relaxing and rewarding.  And enjoy bringing a worn case back to looking like the machine it served to protect, well, for years.

This was my "first" typewriter-case project.  The Underwood was made in 1954; year I was born.

Board footera