You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-2-2022 18:46:09  #1

Rejuvenating old ribbons: Which oil?

I happen to have a box full of 1950s/ possibly 60s ribbons, new in their boxes. The ribbons are obviously dried out. However, figuring that the pigments in the ink must still be present, I have experimented with a couple of spools to see if they can be brought back into service. A few months ago I tried WD40, which is what is usually recommended. The WD40 worked, but I thought the effect a bit washed out. So I wondered about using other oils. Yesterday, I tried some sewing machine oil, figuring that it doesn’t dry out and should be light enough to get pulled through by capillary action. The day it was applied, the effect was much like the WD40 — underwhelming. After percolating for another day, however, things are much better. Those pigments are coming to life!

Is a light machine oil or some other concoction my best bet?

03-2-2022 19:24:55  #2

Re: Rejuvenating old ribbons: Which oil?

Hi Beach

In my experience, I have found it best to see what solvent loosens or lifts the pigment from the ribbons, then find an oil that will readily mix with that solvent. Mix the solvent and oil to a 10:1 to a 20:1 solution of solvent to oil and wet the ribbon with this solution. The solvent dissolves the pigment and brings it into suspension in the mixture. The solvent then evaporates leaving the pigment suspended in the oil and ready to transfer onto the paper.

For ribbons from the 1940's to the 1960's, acetone and castor oil seem to work. For ribbons from the 1970's to the 1990's, naphtha and mineral oil seem to work well and if today's new ribbons need a little extra moisture, Varsol and non detergent SAE-30 oil appears to be the most effective. I know that other members here have tried other oil and solvent combinations with varying success and I also believe this topic was covered in an earlier thread quite a few years ago. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-2-2022 06:08:49  #3

I shall search out that thread. Thanks.

04-2-2022 13:51:18  #4

Here are a few anecdotal descriptions of the ribbon revival process:

In 1994 Louise Milano of Des Plaines, Illinois claimed that she had been using the same typewriter ribbon since 1957. There are crucial details missing, such as how often she actually used that same ribbon over those 37 years, or how many times she had to revitalize it, but here’s her shared technique:

“Hand roll all of the ribbon on one spool. Take a can of 3-in-1 Oil and oil drop by drop all around the ribbon. Wrap the ribbon in plastic cling wrap and let it sit for a couple of days. You'll be surprised at how much black is left on the ribbon."

And here’s another technique that has been used over the years:

“After the ribbon has been wound up on the spool tightly, remove it from the machine and lay it flat on a heavy piece of foil. Get pure glycerin at your drugstore, put some in an eye dropper and squeeze twelve drops or more (depending on the size of the spool) through the openings in the spool where the typewriter ribbon shows through. The glycerin will soak down through the ribbon, loosening all the old dry ink (this is why your typewriter didn't print darker) and rejuvenate the rib­bon. Wrap the spool of ribbon in the foil and leave it in the exact position it was in when you applied the glycerin. Let it soak for at least three days.”

One more home handyman pointer:

“Typewriter ribbon may be renewed by using machine oil. Squirt from the can onto the ribbon wound on the spool. Be sure to go all around it, even through the holes in the top of the spool. Fasten up in a plastic bag and leave until the oil penetrates…

For what it's worth, the glycerin method is the one that I see most often mentioned in older sources. I've never bothered to try any of the techniques, mostly because ribbon is inexpensive. I'm normally not a wasteful person, but part of my logic is that by buying ribbon it helps to ensure that those making it will continue to do so. When those resources have disappeared I'll defininitely begin to rejuvinate what's left.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-2-2022 15:37:38  #5

Another oil to try would be linseed oil. Not the kind you get at a hardware store (unless you want to process it,) but the kind used by artists to thin oil paint. Printmaking ink medium is burnt plate oil, which is linseed oil that has been set aflame for a short amount of time. Linseed oil polymerizes relatively quickly, leaving the pigment permanent. It's one of my favorite preservatives and I've used it on all sorts of things, but most notably bicycle frames, to protect the inside of the tubes from rust. If you use linseed oil, you'd need to make sure you remove all the air from the container you're letting it soak in, or else you'll get a small hockey puck over time, if the ribbon isn't used and kept flexible. You could also displace the air with nitrogen such as from one of the cans used to preserve wine, I suppose.
I have a few dried out silk ribbons with an extremely high thread count which I'll probably try some artist linseed oil on to rejuvenate.

Phil Forrest

28-12-2022 18:27:07  #6

Uwe wrote:

For what it's worth, the glycerin method is the one that I see most often mentioned in older sources. I've never bothered to try any of the techniques, mostly because ribbon is inexpensive.

I had never heard of the glycerin method for typewriter ribbons until now.  Coincidentally, I tried using glycerin just last week to rejuvenate a ribbon.  I thought I was being original!   Anyway, I had used glycerin to rehydrate dried out stamp pads in the past, and reasoned that it should work similarly for typewriter ribbons.  It worked well.  I used a 50/50 mixture of vegetable glycerin and distilled water.  The water is only to help the glycerin spread more evenly and will soon evaporate.  After a couple of days, the ribbon was leaving dark and well-defined impressions.  Much better than the WD-40 method which left me with greasy, blotchy impressions on the paper, as well as an odor.  I imagine that glycerin could be mixed with other carriers like alcohol or mineral spirits, but water seemed to work fine for me.

28-12-2022 19:16:35  #7

Hi Jim

One thing to be aware of when using glycerin for rehydrating typewriter ribbons is that Glycerin is hygroscopic and will pull moisture out of the air. This moisture could potentially lead to rusting of the type slugs. Keep a close eye on the slugs, especially if the machine has sat for a while after using a glycerin treated ribbon. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera