You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2022 23:35:58  #1

1914 L.C. Smith model 5

Hello everyone, I have recently finished repairing an old L.C. Smith model 5. What is your opinion on the machine as a “daily driver” so to speak? Thanks for any input.

07-2-2022 13:04:13  #2

Re: 1914 L.C. Smith model 5

I would describe almost any standard designed for the rigours of professional typing to make a good daily driver - providing of course that it's in good condition and working correctly.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-2-2022 23:54:01  #3

It is in good working condition (minus the ratchet release which is missing lol) but I was wondering something about the keycaps. They appear to be glass but it doesn’t seem quite right  and I can’t determine what material they are. Some sort of plastic maybe? They are yellowed with age and have a little bit of spiderweb cracking in them and the ring around their edges seem to have aged at the same rate as the rest of the machine so I am baffled. They don’t appear to be replacements yet I was under the impression that machines of this era mostly all had glass keycaps. If you have an explanation for that I would greatly appreciate it lol, I’m just baffled.

08-2-2022 01:58:49  #4

The keytop style used on LC Smiths of that era was a sort of thick laminated card, not legends under glass. This is the type of keytop that would have been the factory style of this machine; although replacing keytops was a very common service back in the day, especially on standards, so there would be no way to say they are the originals even if they were in the factory style.

08-2-2022 03:02:52  #5

Here is a picture comparing a disassembled pre-30's LC Smith style keytop (left), with a laminated legend and untabbed ring; and a pre-mid-30's Underwood style keytop (right), with a card legend under a glass disc and 3-prong ring.

08-2-2022 03:17:05  #6

I should note, that in my example, I cannot say that those are factory originals and not replacements, I just want to show the difference between the one-piece legends and the legends under glass.

08-2-2022 10:25:45  #7

Ok that makes sense. I will say that the keycaps on my machine look identical to the one you pictured, so I’m just going to call them original lol ( they should be original for the amount of cleaning I had to do on them 😂). Thanks for all of the info!

Board footera