You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-2-2022 10:04:10  #1

Sentimental Typewriters

Im sure most of us here have one or more machines we have developed a sentimental/personal attachment to, whether it be a specific typewriter, a particular model or perhaps even just a brand. 

For me on the top of that list would be the Groma Kolibri. A red Kolibri was the first machine Ive ever typed on. It belonged to a neighbor of my grandparents & I remember spending the evening there after dinner typing some letters at my grandmothers dinner table. This was in my mid teenage years. My grandmother has since died some years back & I added a black Kolibri to my collection years ago, but it is a collectors piece only and does not get used much. 

Another one is my Report Deluxe, which was the second typewriter I bought & was used to type some of my final exams (I actually lugged it to school lol). It was also used extensively during my education as a watchmaker for typing pages of notes & reports at home. 

A Olympia SM1 (in green) was the second machine Ive ever used & belonged to my class teacher who lend it to me during school time (before I had my own). Not long after that I bought my first typewriter which was a SM3 in green, which I still have. 

I also feel sentimental about the Lettera 32 (in teal), since this was the typewriter that in some ways kickstartend my interest in them. I remember seeing this machine being used in some film or video and ever since I was hooked. I only ever owned one of them (in lime green) but it has since been sold. Great machines with a timelessly modern design that still holds up today. 

What typewriter(s) do you feel sentimental about and what is the story behind it? 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

28-2-2022 11:52:31  #2

Re: Sentimental Typewriters

As kids in our family, we had a big black Royal standard in our home for years.  I think it was a model from the 1950's.  I was the last child and used it in junior and senior high school during the 1960's.  After I left home, it rotted in the garage and my folks finally tossed it.

When I started college in the mid-1970's, I bought a used, grey-colored Royal Futura 800 in a case and continued to use it through my studies until 1980 or so.

When my love for typewriters hit in 2015 and I started collecting some, a grey Futura 800 did finally join my home. 

As I use that grey machine today, I go back in my mind to endless hours in the Student Union as a young student working on assignments and papers on that old Futura machine and looking at the lovely girls who would happen to walk buy.  One who would eventually become my wife when we went on to the University.

IIRC...I think a new ribbon and 1-spool would run about $ 1.25 each at the Student store on campus.

Here is my current machine. 

With my modification to bring the ribbon color-selector switch to outside the ribbon cover.

28-2-2022 14:02:05  #3

In my case there's a significant difference between machines that I have a sentimental attachment to, and those that are my favorites. The ones I cherish most are models that I like for various reasons, and/or because of their backstory. The sentimental ones are those that I'll hang onto the longest, and only because they were ones that were used by my family.

There's absolutely nothing special about these two typewriters, but they are two of my sentimental examples. The first is a 1954 Smith-Corona Silent. My parents bought it new, but it likely didn't see much use until it was used many years later by my older sister for high school and university assignments. I never used the typewriter when I was young, and in fact didn't even know of its existence until about ten years ago when my sister asked if I wanted it. The machine was covered in mold and cobwebs - its travel case was even worse - and it required significant repair. It's a lovely typewriter in its own right, but more so for me given its history.

Even less glamourous - to a collector like myself who prefers mid-century models - is this '70s Smith-Corona  Pride Line Automatic 12. This is the typewriter I used throughout my high school years, at least until it was replaced with the first of a few electronic typewriters that crossed over my early computer days. I no longer own any of those machines, which I don't regret. The Automatic 12 only needed minor servicing and works really well; however, I never use it because it requires those dreaded proprietary Smith-Corona ribbon cartridges.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-3-2022 10:33:54  #4

That Kolibri is absolutely magnificent.  Unfortunately, we tossed my Grandma's typewriter after she passed away, just a year before I really got into them.  I keep around my royal 10, my first ever typewriter, and I don't think I'd ever part with it.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

08-3-2022 16:14:32  #5

That Kolibri is a beauty. It's like viewing a classic sports car. 

Until last year I had no typewriters and I certainly don't remember what was provided in my typing class in the 60s, but I'll submit a recent acquisition. 

This tobacco-stained SC Classic was in rough condition when I got it and this poignant letter was in the carriage. I've cleaned it up and serviced it and now it is a great typer.  When I use it I think of the letter and remind myself to be thankful I'm not in pain. This machine has a soul and gives me something back when I use it. I keep the letter in the case.

- Be kind 

Board footera