You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2022 19:29:28  #1

Hermes 2000 service manual and stuck carriage

I'm looking for a service manual for the Hermes 2000. I've not found any on the web so far. How much similarity is there between the 3000 and the 2000? I.e. if I got Ted Munk's Hermes 3000 Typewriter Repair Bible, am I 80% of the way there?Meanwhile: I've got a Hermes 2000 that came to me with a carriage that's frozen a half inch or so right of center. Carriage release levers do nothing, nor do space, tab, backspace, or letters. (letters don't make it all the way to the platen, either, as if the line lock is on). Any suggestions?

I notice that the carriage release levers move a bar that runs under the carriage and engages a vertical post. Looking under the typewriter, that post moves something near the star wheel, under the back-space pawl. That moves almost freely and doesn't seem to do anything other than contact the side of the star wheel and move away. The star wheel won't budge. No signs of rust or corrosion. A fair amount of oil is there.

Looking down the carriage rack from the side, I see nothing engaging the carriage except a gear connected to the star wheel, and the bearings.I'd hoped to remove the back panels to get a better view on what's going on, but that requires moving screws behind the carriage...

Any tips or hints? Or sources of drawings for the escapement and carriage?

(My current theory: years back, the typewriter had been put away, correctly engaging the carriage center lock. Then, the previous owners opened up the case, and, not knowing how to disengage the center lock, tried to force it (as often happens on RP1s and RP2s). Looks to me that they opened the case with a little force, too, which seems to corroborate the theory).

Thanks!

11-3-2022 08:13:32  #2

Re: Hermes 2000 service manual and stuck carriage

Hi Robmck, I wonder if you have solved your issue. I recently restored a 2000, and it is now my favourite typer of the 14 permanent keepers I have. When I rescued it, it had the same problem, and it turned out in my case to be the lightning margin. The following address will get you the PDF of the user manual. The margins are explained within.
Kind regards,
zoom

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

11-3-2022 09:20:11  #3

11-3-2022 09:22:30  #4

12-3-2022 10:19:02  #5

I had set the machine aside and moved onto the next one in my work queue. Thanks for the tip! I'll dig this out of storage and give it a try. 

14-3-2022 13:22:24  #6

Thanks for the tip, Zoom.

It turns out not to be the margins. Both margins were drawn into the center (nice for shipping). I used a hook to pull them back out to the sides, but the carriage still wouldn't move. The stop had nothing up against it.

Taking the opportunity to look deeper into the machine with better lights, I think the problem is in the escapement: the carriage rack engages a gear (I'll call it the carriage gear because I don't know what it's properly called), which engages a gear that's part of the starwheel. The starwheel/gear is off axis, and the carriage gear is hitting one of the starwheel teeth. So, I've either got to get that starwhee/gear back on axis, or somehow get it out of the machine (or at least out of position enough to free the carriage gear.

Looks like the starwheel/gear axel is towards the back of the machine, with centering screw in the front that it's no longer engaging with. Not sure what my approach will be yet, but it certainly will be of the slow and patient variety. Maybe I can find some axis to the nut at the back of the axel. Or maybe I can somehow pull the carriage gear. I should be able to pull move the centering screw back a bit, but I don't know that buys me anything.

Of course, if I am successful, I don't know if the starwheel axel the rest of the assembly is bent beyond repair. 

Still, it's a fun adventure. I bought this machine and a few other non-functioning machines to learn.

14-3-2022 22:29:08  #7

Hi Robmck,
the starwheel is designed to float, and I would be very hesitant to touch it.There are some interesting posts about the 2000, OZ Typewriter having two articles I think.

Board footera