You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2022 08:52:09  #1

Someone Wamted a SG1...Desperately...

Hammer down for what looks to be a decent SG1 for $ 851+ USD...

Crazy happening over on SGW.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/140215745

15-3-2022 17:24:55  #2

Re: Someone Wamted a SG1...Desperately...

Surely this has to be another example of the fake bidding detailed in the Crazy Happenings over on Shop Goodwill... thread? There doesn't appear to be anything special about that $80 SG1 to make it worth ten times that amount.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-3-2022 12:42:30  #3

Two shill-bidders in the same office/room bidding-up the item and not knowing what the other person is working on...??? 

16-3-2022 13:47:20  #4

That would be funny - providing someone was actually on the hook for paying up their shill bid.

Something not-so-similar happened between myself and another member here (a fellow collector who I often go typewriter hunting with in person). Unknownst to either of us, we were the only two involved in a bidding war for an online typewriter, which in the end I won and as a result overpaid for. It wasn't until we met a week later that the auction came up in discussion and we realized what had happened. We now have a hard-and-fast rule to let the other know when we're bidding on anything online! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2022 19:00:15  #5

It isn't unheard of for Goodwill to do some sneaky business to try and get the most money off an item.  Frankly I find it dishonest and it really puts a stain on them for me.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

28-3-2022 19:25:47  #6

I used to go to gun auctions in Rock Island, IL in person.  They had employees "peppered" in the audience bidding on their company's own offerings. 

How did I know...?  I have a collector friend who I would meet at gun shows and he was an employee of the auction house and raised his paddle during auctions.  He would even bid against phone bidders.  Found out they are 3-5 bidders in the audience for each event.

Once I learned this, I no longer met him at gun shows around the country.

28-3-2022 19:43:31  #7

I wonder if that was what was going on with this one: Vintage Facit Cursive Letter Typewriter - shopgoodwill.com 

The bidding history shows it chugging along as might be expected through $300-ish. (I don't know the Facit market, but it is cursive...). Then suddenly a tripling of the price to $977, and one more bidder on top of that?

Which is not unlike this one Vintage 50'S Royal Quiet Deluxe Portable Typewriter - shopgoodwill.com, though that's an unusual QDL color (was it even stock?), and it has a 1 key, so perhaps it, too, was cursive / script?

29-3-2022 07:13:00  #8

This 1-key = script theory is not infallible or even likely. I have had 15 Royal portables with a 1 key, dated from 1956 through 198x, and only two of them have a script font, a '65 and a '71 Aristocrat. (That is out of 46 Royal portables, so it's true that most do not have the 1 key. In this small sample, the 1 key first appears in 1956 and becomes common, even standard?, by the late '70s. But how many Royals were ordered with a 1 key that I have not seen?)

This pattern my not hold with other brands.

Board footera