You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-9-2014 17:49:10  #1

Replacing Ribbon for Regular Use

Well, here is a novice question for everyone...

I want to regularly use 2 or 3 of my printers. Do I replace the old metal spools with new ribbon spools? Do I save the metal ones but put them aside? Or, do I remove the ribbon off the plastic ones and re-roll them onto the metal spools?

Any advise? Thanks.

Last edited by Liv2BTru2u (12-9-2014 17:50:17)

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

12-9-2014 20:09:20  #2

Re: Replacing Ribbon for Regular Use

Hello!

I would advice you to keep the metal spools. Some older typewriters use specific spool designs and the new, generic plastic replacements won't work on those machines; besides, by keeping the metal spools you keep your machines with a more original look. Besides, they are sturdier than the plastic ones.

12-9-2014 20:19:20  #3

Hi Mike. Would you then recommend re-rolling your ribbon onto the metal spools, or just keep them available? Thanks.

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

13-9-2014 20:32:30  #4

I'd recommend to re-use the metal spools with the new ribbon, definitely.

13-9-2014 22:32:40  #5

I use a cordless drill with a homemade spindle to hold the empty spool and just let the plastic spool with the ribbon spin freely on anything round that you can hang it on. The entire ribbon transfer will take less than a minute. If you do it by hand it will likely take 10-15 minutes.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2014 16:53:43  #6

Thanks. I will try a few different ways. I can always spend 10minutes on this rather then on watching TV.

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

15-9-2014 18:20:21  #7

Liv2BTru2u wrote:

I can always spend 10minutes on this rather then on watching TV.

Trust me, as bad as television programs can be, nothing comes close to the tediouness of hand-spooling twelve yards of thread onto a two-inch spool. Have fun!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-2-2015 12:43:10  #8

Greetings All

Here's a handy tip to speed up the ribbon rewinding process. Head down to your local hardware store and get one length of 1/8" wooden dowel and one of 3/16". Now go to your local automotive supply store (NAPA, Autozone etc.) and get a foot each of 1/8" small engine fuel line and a foot of 3/16" line.

Cut a couple of 6" lengths from each dowel and sand the ends round. Cut 4 - 1" lengths of each size of fuel line and slide ond piece of fuel line almost to the middle on each piece of dowel . Now you have two reel holders for each of the most common size of reel. Slip the reel and the second length of fuel line onto the other end of the dowl and slide up against the previously installed fuel line.

This will hold the reel snugly enough to be able to reel the new ribbon onto the reel by twiddling the dowel between your fingers. When winding ribbon onto reels, a pair of medical examination type gloves (also available at NAPA etc.) will keep your fingers clean. Holding the reel and pulling the ribbon tight every so often give a better more even loading onto the reel. Practice by winding an old ribbon back and forth a few times to get the feel of it. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera