You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-4-2022 09:28:58  #1

Portable or Ultraportable suggestions

I'm brand new to this obsession having acquired my first typewriter within the past few weeks. I'm quite taken by the appearance of many of the machines but particularly those in the portable or ultraportable category. 

Here is the current stable in order of adoption.
1) 1946 Smith Corona Sterling in two stripe "Tuxedo" Black. I have to be honest, I fully intended to paint this one glossy black or a deep glossy blue but having seen it in person that is extremely unlikely to happen. It initiated me into the world of typewriter repair and now functions quite well. My typing technique on the other hand needs considerable work.  
2) 1930 Corona 4 with in Duco Black with black crinkle panels. Again this was intended to be a repaint but the black paint shines like is was applied and buffed yesterday. We are still making friends as there is a good deal of skipping going on and the carriage only moves one space at a time when the tab key is depressed. Regarding the former I suspect the escapement is tripping too early in the keystroke but we'll see. 

The next two are being shipped to me by a friend so I'll have to wait to see how they look up close and what repair or tuning lessons they have to impart.
3) Gossen Tippa. I read good things and the form factor appealed to me. The weird reddish crinkle burgundy not so much but you know how it goes. Once I hold it in my hands I may fall for it as well.
4) Optima Plana in sleek gloss black. This was strictly an aesthetic purchase. I hope it looks as beautiful in person and turns out to be a decent typer.
If you've typed on any or all of these I'd love to hear your observations.

My question is this. If I wanted something that had a different, but not inferior, typing feel to any of the above what would you recommend? I've read that some Erika models have a particular feel. Would that be true of an Olympia SF Deluxe, one of the Spendids or a Remington Rand Model 5? Should I seek out a Groma Kolibri or a Hermes Baby/Rocket? Others?

I'll acknowledge up front it will need to appeal to me visually. Life is too short to spend time with an ugly typewriter.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Take care,
Brent 

14-4-2022 11:15:09  #2

Re: Portable or Ultraportable suggestions

Be sure to try some of the Olivettis/Underwoods based on the Lettera 32:

Olivetti Lettera 32
Olivetti Dora
Olivetti Lettera 25
Olivetti Lettera 35
Underwood 314 or 315
(and some others)

Regards,
Andrew

14-4-2022 14:21:36  #3

Andrew,
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into each. Sorry for the new guy question but were a lot of Underwoods made by other manufacturers?

Take care,
Brent

15-4-2022 04:07:44  #4

Hello Brent,

Olivetti bought Underwood in 1959 and thereafter some of the Olivetti typewriters were also sold under the Underwood brand. For example, the Underwood models 310, 314 and 315 correspond to the Olivetti Dora or Lettera 31.

Regards,
Andrew

15-4-2022 12:05:45  #5

Out of all "ultra" portables Ive used I liked the touch of my Lettera 32 the best. The design is quite timelessly modern and I would call it universally appealing. After that comes my Splendid 99. I have a Hermes baby but it is appealing mostly because of its size not its touch. 

The best "portable" Ive used is my Erika Model M. No other machines compare, even my SG1 standard. Best quality typewriter Ive ever seen too. Quite difficult to get a hold of in the US I gather but well worth it in good condition. After that is my Erika 10 and Olympia SM4, for different reasons. The touch on the Erika is smoother and tighter, but also heavy and slow. The SM4 in contrast is incredibly light and snappy. Erikas in general have the best feel out of the portables in my experience. Ive never been disappointed with an Erika except for my Erika 20 due to its bad build quality. But every machine will be different. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

15-4-2022 17:30:31  #6

Maschinengeschrieben,

What an amazing coincidence. I had just purchased an Erika Model M about 2 minutes before I saw your post. It will likely be a month before it arrives but I'm looking forward to it more than ever after your comments. Watching Lucas Dul's video on YouTube was enough to sell me on the machine's virtues your reinforcement is icing on the cake.

I'll eventually try a Lettera 22 or 32 because of the consistently good comments I've read about them. I must be the exception when it comes to appreciating the look. This is especially surprising considering its Italian origins. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me at least the Lettera must have a great deal of "inner" beauty. 

The Olympia Splendid series and SF including the De Luxe have lines that very much appeal to me so I'll keep an eye out for one.

Thanks for the suggestions, no offense intended to those who love the Lettera.

Take care,
Brent

15-4-2022 18:00:52  #7

Brent,

If given a chance to take a Facit for a test drive, do not hesitate.

These Swedish-made machines type like a jewel.  I have 6 different models in my collection.

Here is my 1964 Facit TP-1 portable.

The only thing wanting...is a "delete" key.  

15-4-2022 22:00:59  #8

bcarter wrote:

Maschinengeschrieben,

What an amazing coincidence. I had just purchased an Erika Model M about 2 minutes before I saw your post. It will likely be a month before it arrives but I'm looking forward to it more than ever after your comments. Watching Lucas Dul's video on YouTube was enough to sell me on the machine's virtues your reinforcement is icing on the cake.

Thats great. Provided it works as it should when you receive it I guarantee you wont be disappointed. Only downside is that every portable that comes after will always be in its shadow. I recommend a methodical and rhythmic approach when typing on it, like any Erika it wont break any speed records. But once you establish a rhythm it will keep up a good pace. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

16-4-2022 10:02:12  #9

Pete E.,
I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to try a Facit.

Maschinengeschrieben,

The surprises keep coming. The Erika turns out to be one from a collection from a German gentleman who refurbishes typewriters and the Erika M is his favorite as well. A nice thing to find out after the purchase. He assures me I will not be disappointed. He mentioned he actually had the opportunity to meet the designer's daughter Erika, for whom it is named.

Take care,
Brent

Board footera