You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-4-2022 09:02:03  #1

Adler logo plates

While surfing auction sites, I've noticed that many '50s Adlers have missing logo plates. Some examples below. Is this a common thing or just luck of the draw? Did they use weak glue, or was this a fad like how some people drive '50 Fords and Volvo P1800s without the grille?

Vintage Adler Primus Portable Typewriter w/ Case / Lid, West Germany - shopgoodwill.com
vintage Adler typewriter with case | eBay

28-4-2022 09:22:40  #2

Re: Adler logo plates

For a while, I was thinking all the missing Triumph typewriter badges were going to motorcycle club members.  But since thy were re-badged Adler machines...maybe a glue thing, after all.

28-4-2022 13:52:32  #3

Of my Triumph and Adler portables only one is missing the model name badge, and it looks to be a brittle glue issue. Just based on the machines I own, models with missing badges are more-or-less equal across all  brands, with the exception of one: Commodore seems to be notorious for losing its badges.

Pete E. wrote:

For a while, I was thinking all the missing Triumph typewriter badges were going to motorcycle club members.  But since thy were re-badged Adler machines...maybe a glue thing, after all.

I think it's actually the other way around. Adler mainly produced standard typewriters until its forced merger with Triumph by Grundig in 1958 that formed Triumph-Adler Büromaschinen Vertriebs GmbH. The only pre-merger Adler portable that I can immediately think of is the Privat (below). I think you'll find that Adler portables really only appeared on mass after 1958, and models such as the Adler Primus referenced by the OP is actually a rebadged Triumph Norm/Perfeckt.

I recall reading somewhere - hopefully a more reliable source than the internet - that Triumph-branded models were not marketed in the U.S. and it was only the Adler name that was used for that market.

Triumph-Adler (T-A) was taken over by Litton Industries in 1969(?), and at the time it was the fifth largest office machine company in the world.  The company was actually owned later on for a short while by Volkswagen.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-4-2022 15:06:16  #4

It is common for For Triumph typewriters to miss badges. It is the first thing I check. It happens to the brand badges on the ribbon cover aswell the model badges on the paper deflector/table. I am referring to the Norms, Perfekts, Durabels, etc. from the fifties. It is the same with the Adler versions. Triumph Matura's suffer from the same problem, but most of the time only the badge on the paper deflector is missing.

28-4-2022 15:41:43  #5

Correction: I mean paper table in al cases.

Board footera