You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-4-2022 12:21:00  #11

Re: Platen surface experiments using a Corona 4

I was just looking into this last night. Seems a lot of people either use felt or closed-cell foam: Typewriter Talk » Sound Deadening (boardhost.com). Looks like felt is what Ted Munk uses: A Lil’ Rain, a Lil’ Typin’ and Plants Playing Music… | To Type, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth... (munk.org)

I've been curious about trying stuff specifically for acoustics, like Dynamat Dynaliner or sound dampening foam that DIY speaker builders sometimes use. Probably waaaay more expensive. I'd be curious to try it once...

24-4-2022 18:06:56  #12

These images show the original platen core resurfaced with PVC tubing. The second image has the details in the typing sample. 

Thanks for reading.

Brent

28-4-2022 18:26:18  #13

What happened to those images? :-) They looked great just the other day.

A cheap durometer arrived today. The clear PVC tubing platens I've installed in the past few days on the 1930 Corona 4, 1946 S-C Sterling and Hermes Baby all measure 87-88 A. This makes sense as they all came from the same piece of tubing.

I've got 2 more portables, 3 ultra-portables and one standard machine coming. I'll do the easy ones myself but one or more will go to JJ Short for the real deal. I look forward to an actual side by side comparison. A good excuse to by a cheap decibel meter?

Hopefully this will be useful to anyone who has been curious about this alternative option. Thanks for reading.

Take care,

Brent

28-4-2022 18:34:24  #14

bcarter wrote:

What happened to those images?  

I don't know where you hosted them, but if you move, change or delete them from the host it will break the link that shows here. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-4-2022 18:54:57  #15

Uwe,

Thanks for the information. I'll look for a different hosting option before linking more pictures.

Take care,

Brent

04-5-2022 13:49:19  #16

https://imgbb.com/ is pretty foolproof, as long as you post the right link

Board footera