You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2022 20:52:00  #1

What are your top 5 portable / ultraportable typewriters?

I'm new to this typewriter forum.  I grew up on manual typewriters and after being away from them for a couple of decades my interest has been rekindled.  Looking to pick up a portable or two.  Looking for your top 5 suggestions. 

05-5-2022 09:29:50  #2

05-5-2022 13:31:19  #3

Re: What are your top 5 portable / ultraportable typewriters?

Rusty,

Do you now the difference between carriage-shifting typewriters versus segment (or basket) shifting typewriters ?

That is important to know and then some of the typewriters fall into  one classification or the other.

For a carriage-shifting machine, I would recommend an Olympia SM3 or SM4.  That was my first machine when I came back to wanting to use typewriters...and I am glad I made the SM3 that machine.

06-5-2022 18:25:39  #4

Whats worth getting often depends on where you live. If you lived in Europe & just wanted something that works, Id tell you to get an Olympia SM9 for 15€ somewhere and be done with it. But that same machine in worse condition can cost you well over a hundred dollars in the States. 

The typewriter scene in the US is much larger then for example Germany, so unfortunately prices have been driven up for years now. Id look for user friendly US domestic models to beginn with, like the Smith Corona Silent or Sterling for example. Id also recommend sticking with post-war machines for now, since chances are those are gonna be in much better shape. 

Some models to look out for: Olympia SM3,4,5 or 9. Erika 10. Torpedo 18. Triumph Norm/Perfekt.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

15-6-2022 20:37:08  #5

I recently picked up two typewriters that I have been enjoying very much: a 1952 Royal Quiet De Luxe and an Olympia Monica. Both are great machines. The Monica is a bit of a puzzle...there is very little information on this machine. I know everyone says its just an SM-9 without some of the bells and whistles (actually it does have a bell). Very few reviews on line. Still, a very nice machine. 

16-6-2022 11:23:18  #6

The Monica represented a more budget-friendly model throughout the SM's history, but that takes nothing away from its performance. I can't explain why there's a dearth of data online for this particular Olympia, but then again I don't have an explanation for most of what can or can't be found on the internet.

On the surface you might speculate that fewer Monica models were sold and as a result fewer in the current market, but I don't think that's the case. I have at least five of them, and they seem to be fairly common in my area. Regardless, it's a great portable to own and use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-6-2022 19:25:29  #7

The Monica I have is a 76 or 77. It is built like a tank and is a very smooth machine, very fast action.  I would certainly recommend a Monica to anyone.

17-6-2022 06:54:27  #8

I have had a couple of Monicas across my work-bench.

Those did not have a Tab function and IIRC...they did not have touch-control, either.

In the Hermes 3000 world, Hermes also had their Media 3 version a price-reduced model...same except no Tabulator and no touch-controls.

Board footera