You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-5-2022 13:26:11  #161

Re: What Are You Typing On Today...?

LD,  that is a great machine is such NICE shape !  Really one of those time-capsule machines we all hope to find.

11-5-2022 13:28:23  #162

Thanks Pete! Exactly! I can even see the red, white, and blue on the color selection! It was owned by a little old lady who only typed church programs on it once a week (I don't know, that's my story).
Since the Lettera 22 I bought blind on Facebook for too much is turning out to have some ISSUES, I feel like it all works out, karmically...

11-5-2022 14:15:19  #163

lazydog wrote:

... It was owned by a little old lady who only typed church programs on it once a week (I don't know, that's my story). ...

It's possible the exact opposite is true, and that it was a heavily used office machine because your KMG looks like it might have been factory refurbished. The replacement keytops are interesting (perhaps from an HH?). It's also interesting that they didn't replace the original tab setting keytops and the spacebar.

I also really enjoy using the KMG, but then again most standards are a treat to type with. I actually bought mine from a little old lady who was a university professor, but the typewriter had belonged to her father and was used in his office. It was in dismal condition when I got it and had a large mouse nest in the segment, but it types wonderfully now and I like looking at its decades of aesthetic wear.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-5-2022 19:49:21  #164

Facit TP-2 1965, I think. 
Had problems and I was about to throw up my hands, but more solvent and  things finally busted loose. Needs new feet but otherwise in wonderful condition. The platen still has some give to it. Not sure how to describe the action. I fall into the rhythm and architecture after a few minutes so will continue to evaluate. To me, it feels better with the touch control advanced for a firmer touch. Logo to be glued straight. 

- Be kind 

11-5-2022 19:59:25  #165

your KMG looks like it might have been factory refurbished. The replacement keytops are interesting (perhaps from an HH?). It's also interesting that they didn't replace the original tab setting keytops and the spacebar.

Uwe, I think I got the idea that such refurbishes weren't unusual from this [url=http://The replacement keytops are interesting (perhaps from an HH?). It's also interesting that they didn't replace the original tab setting keytops and the spacebar.]Machines of Loving Grace[/url] Royal KMM ("Although dating from 1939, this KMM was probably rebuilt sometime in the 1950s. The original round, glass-topped keys have been replaced with plastic keys, a common practice back then. Notice, though, that the tab set and clear buttons are still the old style.") Same failure to replace the space bar...so probably an HH key set was typically inserted as part of a refurb? But again, mine is 1951 looks like. Seems like it would not have been that old to merit a refurb. Maybe just styles change and folks wanted a newer (plastic) look. Though the market in rebuilt typewriters is fascinating. I thought it was more a 30s thing -- the serious aftermarket. Read a whole thing on the Oz site about it I think.

I agree with MoLG that the plastic keys are much more comfortable than glass top, round or tombstone. I have another KMG that is tombstone and the action is also really light -- but the glass tombstone keys make it feel heavier, best I can tell!

So yeah, probably a refurb -- that paint is almost new still!

11-5-2022 20:03:48  #166

And I can't think of the Royal HH without thinking of Tanya Berry, Wendell Berry's wife, who has typed every word he has ever written on one. "The most important editor almost no one has ever heard of."

11-5-2022 21:11:19  #167

Mikeytap...

Congratulations on another Facit ! 

Is your colour beige or Viking grey ?

11-5-2022 21:15:56  #168

Lazydog,

Here is another KMG with replacement key-tops...including the Tab controls.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/1949-royal-kmg.10567.typewriter

12-5-2022 05:40:28  #169

But again, not the space bar -- so odd the choices people made! THanks!

12-5-2022 07:11:01  #170

Lazydog,

Maybe the mounting holes / screw inserts of the old space-bar did not line up with those on any more modern replacement space-bars...???

Board footera