You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-2-2022 16:17:57  #1

WTB: Ratchet Pawl for a Maritsa Typewriter

Been after this part for maybe two years?  I need the clicky detent wheel for the line spacing mechanism, it seems to be continually elusive.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

05-3-2022 08:38:27  #2

Re: WTB: Ratchet Pawl for a Maritsa Typewriter

A machinist (ideally specializing in small things, like a clock restorer, or a model steam train maker, etc.) could likely make one if you had a schematic/ a broken original gear.

I have contact details for one such business (was local to me in Ontario before I moved) if you wanted to pursue that option, though whether he’d mail something I don’t know.

08-3-2022 10:37:26  #3

I don't know what the original part looked like, as it was long gone by the time I was tasked with fixing it.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

23-5-2022 08:49:56  #4

Hey, don't know if you're still working with that problem,  but I think I have a Maritsa with the same broken part. where the platen just rolls freely and won't ratchet.

If it helps here are some shots of the broken part and a shot of underneath the carriage where the remaining bit part of spring steel is still screwed down below the racket wheel.

Appears to be a tiny wheel attached to a bracket with some spring steel that would allow it to flex back and forth on the teeth. If you invent something to replace it let me know what you did and I'll copy cat.

- Be kind 

26-5-2022 06:44:16  #5

Maritsa 11 pawl repair:
This may be a dead duck thread but I'll close it out with my inelegant solution. A metal part would be best if you have the tools but I made a repair with a bamboo stir stick (they're tough) wrapped lightly with fine weave fiberglass cloth and epoxy.  I don't plan on any long form work on the Maritsa 11 but it is now ratcheting again as it should. 

- Be kind 

18-6-2022 07:26:42  #6

Mikeytap,

That is a great repair.  I use the same cloth with epoxy for cracks in the plastic lids of small portables...do it on the inside, only.

18-6-2022 08:22:30  #7

Pete E. wrote:

Mikeytap,

That is a great repair.  I use the same cloth with epoxy for cracks in the plastic lids of small portables...do it on the inside, only.

It's holding up so far but I would replace the bamboo with some sort sort of metal. I just don't have tools for cutting and working small metal parts. Yes, that fine weave cloth is very handy indeed. 

Pete, in other news, I'm picking up the Everest typewriter tomorrow and I'm curious to explore that machine. I'll do a posting in new acquisitions. 

- Be kind 

Board footera