You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-6-2022 05:47:09  #1

Selectric I ribbon troubles

You can own the most beautiful typewriter on the Earth, but, if you have a dry ribbon, your writing experience shall be very frustrating. I got on eBay a wonderful Selectric I, totally refurbished and absolutely perfect. The ribbon was not at its 100%, so I bought another ribbon. It is very difficul to find one, and - living in Europe - extremely expensive, but that's it. New ribbon looks ok, but frankly the printing is not so much different. This is my question: is it possible to find a ribbon fully and totally working, as NEW? I mean letters well printed, with UNIFORM and FULL ink everywhere? Or every Sel. I is old and partially dry? Of course it is a traditional ribbon, (the first model hasn't corrector film).

Thanks

07-6-2022 08:38:15  #2

Re: Selectric I ribbon troubles

There is a video on YouTube that shows you can reload a fabric ribbon into the cartridge...I never got a chance to try it myself as my Selectric II died but this may solve your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmk0hJ45wB8&ab_channel=PhoenixTypewriter

08-6-2022 01:19:17  #3

Thanks! Very nice video, I'll try. Btw, do you think a standard ribbon (size) is ok?

08-6-2022 03:54:16  #4

The ribbon is very likely to to be 9/16" width.  A standard manual typewriter ribbon is 1/2" ,  Hope this helps !

Board footera