You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-6-2022 07:34:34  #1

Typewriter Pad (For noise reduction)

I recently was informed by my family that my typewriters make a lot of noise. I have been experimenting with different pads to put under the typewriter to dampen the noise. I recently discovered a good option while strolling through my local Wal-Mart. You can buy inter-locking foam pads to put on the floor for kids as a play surface. There are the large ones that you might use in a room for weightlifting but you can also buy smaller ones --  12.5 by 12.5 inch. I purchased a pack and they fit perfectly under a typewriter...and they do dampen sound considerably. 

08-6-2022 08:38:13  #2

Re: Typewriter Pad (For noise reduction)

I like using rubber "Bar service mats" for pads.

Helps with sound and it really grips the feet of typewriters and they just do not move as I type.  Even old rubber feet hard as concrete stay in place.

08-6-2022 10:58:27  #3

Rusty Keys wrote:

I recently was informed by my family that my typewriters make a lot of noise. I have been experimenting with different pads to put under the typewriter to dampen the noise. I recently discovered a good option while strolling through my local Wal-Mart. You can buy inter-locking foam pads to put on the floor for kids as a play surface. There are the large ones that you might use in a room for weightlifting but you can also buy smaller ones --  12.5 by 12.5 inch. I purchased a pack and they fit perfectly under a typewriter...and they do dampen sound considerably. 

I copied Pete E's idea about the bar mats. But before that, I cut up one of my wife's yoga mats and that worked ok and was very economical. 

- Be kind 

08-6-2022 12:44:14  #4

I use wool felt seat pads, about 12mm thick. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

10-6-2022 09:13:59  #5

Cheap solution. Go to a mall and buy a plastic carpet for washing machine. It is a piece of rubber which keep the machine stable and avoids trembles. I think it's 2 bucks stuff about. Cut the extra, and put what you need under your typewriter. That's all.

17-6-2022 04:31:36  #6

I'll admit that I've spent more on wool typewriter pads than common sense would allow. The first such pad that I bought was the Ace Typewriter branded pad that they sell there at the shop (here in Portland). A sentimental purchase that I was only too happy to make.

Also, whenever visiting Ace I really admired the vintage Felt-Tite pads that they have out in the shop (typically these are sitting under a number of their machines that are out on display). So when I found an online office supplies seller who had a batch of new old stock examples in varying sizes available, I picked up two of these in different sizes. They were still in like new condition and were being offered for less than what many new pads sell for. The nice thing about the Felt-Tite pads is that they have a layer of rubber on the bottom that is fused to the wool layer. I see that there are some pads out there being made today still using this approach.

I definitely like typing with a pad underneath the typewriter. But had I not found the pads mentioned above, I'm sure that I would have been plenty happy with numerous other solutions that I've seen others come up with. 

06-9-2022 18:33:28  #7

I bought Richard Polt’s The Jackalope typewriter pad, and I can’t recommend it highly enough! Very affordable, and very perfect for the job. I bought it quite a few years back now, but it looks like he still makes them....http://writingball.blogspot.com/p/typewriter-pads-for-sale.html?m=1

05-12-2022 00:57:24  #8

I just use rubber-backed, low-pile carpet welcome mats.  I cut them down to typewriter size.  Super easy to clean, they muffle the noise, and one of them keeps my Skyriter from sliding across the table.

05-12-2022 01:02:36  #9

OregonJim wrote:

I just use rubber-backed, low-pile carpet welcome mats.  I cut them down to typewriter size.  Super easy to clean, they muffle the noise, and one of them keeps my Skyriter from sliding across the table.

Oh, I suppose a picture would help:

05-12-2022 08:18:43  #10

Sorry...photo of my bar service mat in use...

Board footera