You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-4-2022 22:21:08  #1

Removing renaissance wax

I tried polishing up the badges on my '41 QDL with rennaissance and accidentally got some on the surrounding crinkle-paint. (Today's lesson: mask off the area not being polished next time). 

I've tried removing the wax with 91% alcohol, simple green, dish soap and water, and it's progressively worse (looks awful now). Before I step up to stronger chemicals, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for removing it without damaging the crinkle paint? 

I was also considering gently heating it up to melt / soften the wax and wick it up with a cloth - but I suspect that would still leave some residue...

Thanks!

13-6-2022 18:28:08  #2

Re: Removing renaissance wax

I just Googled your question and there is a document that says you can remove Renaissance Wax with "White spirits", a petroleum distillate.

13-6-2022 18:29:44  #3

Rusty Keys wrote:

I just Googled your question and there is a document that says you can remove Renaissance Wax with "White spirits", a petroleum distillate.

Www.archivalmethods.com

13-6-2022 23:08:09  #4

Thanks. I didn't have any mineral spirits on hand, so I think I used car detailing soap, a stiff bristled brush, and patience. 

Board footera