You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-9-2014 20:16:14  #1

Monarch Remington or Remington Monarch?

I received this pecular machine roughly a month ago, and it has me stumped. It is a Monarch, but it has Remington decals and possibly Remington serial numbers, as the prefix doesn't match Monarch data. Here it is on typewriterdatabase:

21-9-2014 20:18:09  #2

Re: Monarch Remington or Remington Monarch?

22-9-2014 09:49:42  #3

Monarch and Remington were both controlled by Union Typewriter, Monarch being the company that was created to produce its first visible typewriter. However, eventually it was Remington that would build the Monarch machines, so to answer your question I think it should be Remington Monarch.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-9-2014 18:52:05  #4

Alright, makes sense to me. I'll update the Database gallery.

23-9-2014 10:14:01  #5

It`s a bit of a chicken/egg argument, and now that I've thought about it a little more, maybe there should be a category in the DB called Monarch (Remington). There are other categories that have been set up this way for rebranded machines with the company name in parathesis being the actual manufacturer of the machine. Ask Ted and see what he says.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-9-2014 17:25:40  #6

Wouldn't the category be called Remington (Monarch), because the machine was built a Monarch and had a Remington label slapped on it?

Anyway, I'll ask. There should also be a Smith-Premier (Monarch) category too, around the time mine was made (assuming it is from '24) Monarchs were being labeled as Smith-Premiers.

23-9-2014 22:22:41  #7

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Wouldn't the category be called Remington (Monarch), because the machine was built a Monarch and had a Remington label slapped on it?

It was the other way around if I understand the history of the brand. That particular Monarch was manufactured in the Remington plant, by Remington, and has a Monarch label slapped on it.

Take for example the recently set-up category Simpsons (Imperial). The machine is labelled as being a Simpson's typewriter, but the machine was actually manufactured by Imperial for Simpson's.

28-9-2014 20:02:29  #8

Ack... now I have a headache trying to figure this out...

28-9-2014 22:20:25  #9

Sell the machine - problem solved! 

30-9-2014 21:22:11  #10

Thought about that, but at this point I've grown fond of it... besides, it was a gift... 

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (30-9-2014 21:23:36)

Board footera