You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-9-2014 15:44:50  #1

eBay Corona Four Surprise

I recently bought a Corona Four off eBay for cheap.  When it got here I was very please.  Isn't it pretty.

When I bought it the seller said that they thought it was in working order, but the carriage cable was broken.  I thought to myself... "surely repairing a snapped draw strap is within my meager typewriter repair talents."

It took me a bit of effort, but I finally got a new cable threaded through the pulley obstacle-course and successfully repaired the carriage.  There was much rejoicing.  Something I didn't notice when I was trying to replace the draw strap, but became immediately apparent once it was fixed is the carriage teeth weren't catching.  The carriage was perpetually resetting itself and none of the keys seem to advance it.  

“Hrm,” I thought, “I suspect I need to adjust something else.”  I’m unfamiliar with this model of typewriter and became bewildered because I couldn’t even fathom what the teeth were supposed to be catching on. 

Then a dark suspicion took root as I was staring at a rather empty section on the back of the type writer below the carriage. 

I did some hunting for a picture or diagram of what a Corona Four ought to look like underneath and eventually found an oiling diagram in a scanned manual.

Sure enough, if this diagram is to be trusted, and I’ve done my detective work right, my Corona seems to be missing a pretty important part (or parts!)  I guess this was someone else’s parts machine at some point. 

Thems the trials and tribulations of eBay.  Currently I have a nice display piece, but I’m short a new typewriter.   Doh.

21-9-2014 19:35:14  #2

Re: eBay Corona Four Surprise

Ouch! I have a Corona 3 that was the same, I finally got the drawband hooked to the carriage and after 20 minutes of celebration I realized that the carriage would stick for no obvious reason... very disappointing.

24-9-2014 10:51:10  #3

Re: eBay Corona Four Surprise

WTS, Are you saying the escapement doesn't hold the carriage in position or it doesn't release and advance for each character printed?

I can't really see clearly from your picture if anything is missing or not. The Corona 4 was made for over a decade and I'm sure there were some different versions, so the illustration may not match exactly. The illustration you provided doesn't match your machine in various ways. Find out what your serial number is and then find another collector (perhaps here or on typewriterdatabase.com) with a working machine of the same vintage and compare.

-Clark

Clark

Board footera