You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-7-2022 21:47:29  #11

Re: Some general restoration questions

Update -- it has taken me at least 4 hours to clean the just the chassis.  Keep in mind this typewriter was remarkably dirty to begin with. I did several tests on different areas to see which one yielded the best results. I tried the following products: rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish, soap and water, Flitz polish and WD-40. For applicators I tried: toothbrushes, cotton cloths, QTips, plastic scrubber pads and extra fine steel wool. My conclusion -- toothpaste and toothbrush and elbow grease yielded the best results. The chassis looks like new (with the exception of a few age related nick's and scratches).

13-7-2022 21:49:10  #12

Rusty Keys wrote:

Update -- it has taken me at least 4 hours to clean the just the chassis.  Keep in mind this typewriter was remarkably dirty to begin with. I did several tests on different areas to see which one yielded the best results. I tried the following products: rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish, soap and water, Flitz polish and WD-40. For applicators I tried: toothbrushes, cotton cloths, QTips, plastic scrubber pads and extra fine steel wool. My conclusion -- toothpaste and toothbrush and elbow grease yielded the best results. The chassis looks like new (with the exception of a few age related nick's and scratches).

And it smells minty fresh too!

16-7-2022 04:08:35  #13

Update: I decided to not do a full immersion cleaning. Instead  I used Simple Green in a spray bottle and focused on the basket area and the keys, followed by a very good rinsing and a rapid drying with compressed air. I also let the machine sit outside on a windy sunny day to air dry. The outcome was remarkable. Prior to this cleaning all the keys were either stuck, or sticky. Now, all they keys move very easily.

I did some minor adjustments, cleaned more internal parts with Q-tips and dental picks, did some touch ups, reassembled the chassis, and presto, I have a clean, functioning 1950 Smith Corona Silent. I am quite pleased with the outcome. This was a great learning experience.

16-7-2022 20:02:45  #14

I am assuming that when you say chassis you are meaning the painted metal body. The chassis would usually denote the actual mechanical bits under the body. Did you take the body off the machine?
Phil Forrest

17-7-2022 04:51:23  #15

Phil_F_NM wrote:

I am assuming that when you say chassis you are meaning the painted metal body. The chassis would usually denote the actual mechanical bits under the body. Did you take the body off the machine?
Phil Forrest

Yes, I meant the painted metal body. (I'm still learning the correct nomenclature). I removed the body first and  cleaned it with toothpaste and tooth brush. I found this worked best to remove the greasy layers of dirt. The internal workings (mechanical bits) were cleaned as I described above.

17-7-2022 16:39:33  #16

Did you replace the disintegrated rubber washers which separate the body from the frame? I make mine out of old bicycle inner tube rubber. 
Phil Forrest

17-7-2022 23:32:49  #17

Anybody know what the original dimensions on those washers were? I wonder if McMaster has them. Might be handy for this and other projects. 

18-7-2022 04:33:38  #18

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Did you replace the disintegrated rubber washers which separate the body from the frame? I make mine out of old bicycle inner tube rubber. 
Phil Forrest

Yes, I did. I find a paper hole punch works well for making washers.

Board footera