You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-7-2022 12:18:42  #1

Lettera 22 scarcity?

Hi all -- forgive if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone else feel like we are seeing fewer Lettera 22s in the wild than just a few months ago? Plenty 32s and other Olivettis -- and of course plenty older machines, Royal Kmms and KMGs etc, so it is not age per se, unless the Olivettis were not as hardy as a whole genus. Not trying to start a run on the market...but weird, since they were so ubiquitous in their day, I understand. Thoughts?

18-7-2022 15:32:50  #2

Re: Lettera 22 scarcity?

I think the irregular supply of 22s is just the nature of the second hand market. 

18-7-2022 16:58:10  #3

I'm no longer closely following what's for sale in my area, so I just took a look at a local listing and found a Lettera 22 for sale for $150 CAD - despite the fact the line space lever is broken off the machine! I highly doubt that 22s are becoming more scarce, rather - as Lau pointed out - its just natural fluctuation in the number being offered for sale. As an example of this, I recently spent months watching local listings for a particular camera without any luck - and then suddenly within a couple of weeks I managed to find three of them. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-7-2022 11:27:22  #4

Several times now, I will spend a better part of a year or more looking and keeping an eye out for a particular make/model and one finally shows up and I snag it...convinced I will not see another in my life time.

Then after my dream-machine is home, 2-3 others will just pop up on the auction houses or on the internet in the next month or so. 

20-7-2022 17:25:07  #5

You are all correct of course; I am relatively new to this hobby, but have already spent too much on something I thought was rare only to see two more appear more reasonably-priced the following week. Part of the fun is in the waiting I suppose. And I am also particularly interested in the round-key models, rather than the "chiclet" ones.

Board footera