You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2022 16:56:00  #1

Is it possible to date this font? and what was used to type it?

Hi, I was hoping to get an idea of the age of this label, and was hoping maybe the font would be a good clue.

23-7-2022 00:21:20  #2

Re: Is it possible to date this font? and what was used to type it?

If I am looking at the correct image, I do not believe it will be possible to date that based on the type style. There are not enough characters in the sample to link that to any particular brand or era. Forensic type analysis is very tricky, even with a large sample, and would be nearly impossible with three characters, especially as none of these are ones that are commonly used as differentiators in some of the popular methods.

23-7-2022 14:01:18  #3

Yes the 105. what about a general time period say the 1950's or such? or did font like that stretch over a much longer time and guessing the decade is pointless?

23-7-2022 15:20:56  #4

Yes, "a font like that" was available and in use for over a hundred years. That label might not even have been produced on a typewriter, especially since it looks like a ribbon with that selvedge on the top and bottom; that would not have gone through a typewriter very well. There is not enough of a sample to narrow the font down. Are there any other clues available for you?

25-7-2022 19:14:50  #5

No other clues, my interest is in the mineral specimen and am trying to get an idea roughly of when the label was created.

25-7-2022 19:37:16  #6

I'm willing to bet that is a pre-numbered cotton duck laundry label that was stuck to the mineral sample with some brushed on adhesive like rubber cement. The applied mastic would explain the deep yellowing as well. These were commonly sold in rolls numbered from 001-999, and had a perforation that could be easily cut or ripped in the correct spot between numbers. All of my tailored Navy uniform items always came back with cotton numbers pinned to a blouse, jumper or trouser seam. The Navy used them because paper is more flammable and easily lost. Never trust a sailor ;)
That's my guess.

28-7-2022 20:04:48  #7

Interesting, any idea when this was a "thing" to use those?

28-7-2022 20:17:19  #8

fuss wrote:

Last time I got a set of uniforms back from the ships laundry was early December, 2000, just before I transferred to shore duty. My blues all had these cotton laundry tags pinned on them at that time.
Phil Forrest

29-7-2022 10:58:18  #9

fuss wrote:

I wasn't there but I'm quite sure that text printed on ribbons was common during the 19th century and later. They could be pinned to or tied around a great variety of merchandise and academic inventory. I wouldn't have much hope for dating that mineral with this bit of evidence, unless maybe you want to get into deep forensics and analyze the fabric and ink chemically and microscopically. especially since the label could have been added at any time after the unearthing of the mineral. This is sounding like an X-Y problem; is there no other information surrounding this sample? What is the significance of knowing the date of it?

29-7-2022 12:40:47  #10

How big is the cotton label?

Board footera