You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-7-2022 10:26:42  #1

Dyslexia And Typefaces

I was listening to a Fresh Air interview with Henry Winkler, who is severely dyslexic, and he was singing the praises of Dyslexic typefaces which almost all are sans-serif versions.  He said it was a godsend to him.  I never heard of dyslexic typefaces before.   I am partially dyslexic while my father had the full-blown version. If you google dyslexic typeface, there are several versions.  In my collection of 18 typewriters, only one, a SMC Coronet Electric, is sans-serif in elite font.  It was promoted to be easier to read even before dyslexia was well known.  Are there other manufacturers who had this as well?  I have always believed that my own dyslexia, with the inability to spell well, made me a very poor touch typist and I have always been a two fingered typist but since getting into typewriters my speed has improved a bit.  Still have to check spelling sometimes.

26-7-2022 12:07:43  #2

Re: Dyslexia And Typefaces

Fonts designed specifically as an intervention for dyslexia are a very recent phenomenon - i.e. in the last 10 years or so - so you won't find any typewriters with them. 

26-7-2022 16:06:06  #3

Robmck:  There have been sans-sarif fonts though.  My Coronet Electric that has that font is from the early to mid 1960's.  There must have been other manufacturers who had it also.

26-7-2022 16:42:42  #4

A lot of typewriter brands offered sans-serif typefaces. See for example this 1964 NOMDA Blue Book Remington Font Styles page on Ted Munks blog:

https://munk.org/typecast/2011/04/25/1964-nomda-blue-book-remington-font-styles/

27-7-2022 08:44:32  #5

I discovered too late that the Typewriter Repair Manual has a host of examples by many manufacturers listed in the back.   My particular SCM Coronet Electric has a type slug #86 labeled "Classic Elite".

Board footera