You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-8-2022 18:17:31  #1

Electro-Mechanical Calculators

Have this neat Facit Model 1208 (made in Sweden) electro-mechanical calculating machine on its way to our home.

Thought it could keep my Facit T2 company on the book case shelf.

$ 22 USD plus shipping.

Cannot wait to get it on my work bench a bit of a clean and service and maybe a new ribbon.

08-8-2022 18:30:19  #2

Re: Electro-Mechanical Calculators

Although it has lost its dust cover with the passing of time, its original user manual is still taped to the bottom of the machine.

Seems like it takes a black/red ribbon.  Positive values print out in black and negative values print out in red.

08-8-2022 21:38:57  #3

Thats where the phase "to be in the black" comes from. 
I might be able to service a chronograph but these things scare me. I dont really touch them, apart from superficial cleaning. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

09-8-2022 07:17:22  #4

Hi Gerd,

That is my plan as well.  Take off the covers, give it a good clean (without any disassembly), maybe a drop of light oil here and there, and some new ribbon in place.

I figure this will be a display piece as I simply like my scientific calculator (which I bought in college back in 1980) too much and still use, daily.

09-8-2022 09:24:16  #5

That is a really nice looking machine! I had a 10-key machine once but never used them enough to be a touch typer. However I found it mesmerizing to watch when someone else was. Our tax person (only a few years younger than me) still has one on her desk.

09-8-2022 12:43:31  #6

Hi George...how could I resist anything "Facit"... lol

I went after this Olympia 10-key on eBay simply to score its nice Olympia case.  Thought I could use it to haul and store my 1979 Nikon FM 35mm cameral and a few lenses.

Seller of the calculating machine indicated it does nothing when plugged in and turned on.  I did not let them know it has a power fuse-holder under the cowling.

If I can get the Olpympia to work...great.  If not I still get a great case for my auction-win of $ 1.98 USD plus about $ 14 S&H.

09-8-2022 17:10:36  #7

Lovely carry case.  I do believe that it uses the same plastic handle as the Traveller potable !

09-8-2022 17:17:28  #8

Same style of case as my Report deluxe. The machine too.
In fact I thought about getting one of these to go with my Report years ago, just like I did later with my SG1. But there's just no space on my desk for it. With these 70s cases, I dont trust them further then I can throw em. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

09-8-2022 17:35:16  #9

I don't trust any travel case. Many years ago I was carrying a case that appeared to be in perfect condition, and was properly closed. Regardless, it unceremoniously ejected its typewriter onto a concrete sidewalk as I was walking. The typewriter was in fantastic condition too, and even though I repaired the extensive damage, it now has character marks to remind me of the lesson learned. I now carry typewriters in their travel case in a manner that doesn't rely on its handle or latches. 

Those calculators are hyper-cool accessories; I've been tempted more than once to match machines with their period-correct calculators, but so far I've managed to talk my way out of it; my rule is to not buy anything that I won't actually use, and as neat as vintage calculators are, I never have the need for one when I'm using a typewriter to write.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-8-2022 07:15:10  #10

I'm with you there, Uwe...2-handed carry on any case or typewriter and never with its handle. 

Same with vintage sewing machines.

Board footera