You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-8-2022 16:17:10  #1

Olivetti from Italy and Barcelona

Today's post from abruno17 in the buy/sell area reminded me of a question I've been wondering about:

I've seen Oviletti's made in Italy, others in Barcelona. Is there any relative difference between machines made at either plant? (e.g. the other day, Uwe mentioned that Royal FPs from Canada are considered superior to their Dutch counterparts: Typewriter Talk » Modified Royal FPE On Shop Goodwill... (boardhost.com)).

01-9-2022 02:51:28  #2

Re: Olivetti from Italy and Barcelona

If we are talking about the Lettera 32 for example, there is no difference in quality of materials or construction between Italian machines and Spanish machines.  Indeed, for the UK market, after about 1965 virtually all the Lettera 32 sold here were made in Barcelona.  Every Olivetti Valentine I have seen was also Barcelona-made.  There does seem to be a bit of snobbishness about Italian Lettera 32s.  I have had customers ask if a refurbished machine was originally made in Italy or Spain.  Not that they always believe me, when I tell them that there is no difference !

01-9-2022 10:12:16  #3

Thanks! The Studio 44 is what brought it to mind for me, but if the Letteras were no different, then I'd assume the same would hold true for the other models.

02-9-2022 11:46:33  #4

Hi Rob,

I had both an Italy-made and a Spain-made Olivetti-Underwood 21 in my home at the same time.  1964 and 1966 made machines, respectively.

I could not discern a difference in the build-quality of these two machines. 

I ended up keeping the made-in-Spain machine was it was a very lightly used machine during its life and its platen rubber was still soft.

The made-in-Italy machine was also very good...just used more in the past and needed some repair and parts (which I got from a $ 12 parts machine I picked up).  I gifted that repaired machine to a youngster in our neighborhood who started writing poems and short-stories on it.

Board footera