You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-9-2022 05:37:04  #1

2 broken typewriters!

Hello 

For reasons not entirely clear to me, I purchased 2 typewriters recently - both of them are in pretty poor condition.  A lot of the letters stay down when I press them, damaged ribbon etc.

I don't know the first thing about typewriters, I don't even know how to use them (!), but I am keen to learn. I guess my first question is, how easy is it to fix typerwriters?  Are there people that do such a thing? I am based in Bristol UK and of course would be happy to pay - but is it worth it?!

Sorry for what clearly are stupid questions - but I would welcome any help/info/thoughts!

Thanks

11-9-2022 16:06:44  #2

Re: 2 broken typewriters!

Bob,

You can do a search for search terms such as "Cleaning" and "Servicing" on this forum and take a few hours and read through related posts.

This over all article written by Richard Polt can also give  you some good ideas...especially for cleaning a machine without taking all of covers off. 

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-restoration.html

I have a small air compressor that I use in my garage & driveway when I clean a machine that has come into my home.  I also do a thorough cleaning before attempting any repairs or adjustments...as many "issues" can simply go away with a deep cleaning and light oiling (of the correct parts only.  And a new ribbon.

My cleaning solvent of choice is "denatured alcohol" which has no water content. . Sure there are stronger and faster solvents to use but then you have to worry about contact with paint finishes and plastic parts, etc.  I have close to 47 machines in my collection and all have been cleaned by me with denatured alcohol.

The solvent liquifies old oil, grease. gunk and you blow it dry while it is still not re-solidified.  On dirty machines,  you might have to apply solvent and blow out and repeat several times until all the old crud is blown out.

Let us know if you have any other questions or issues that come up.  Lots of helpful folks, here, on the TT Forum.

Board footera