You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2022 20:53:29  #31

Re: Electro-Mechanical Calculators

hmmmm, maybe we need an adding machine section, or "other machines"?

- Be kind 

13-9-2022 21:26:37  #32

Hi Mike,

This section in the Forum is titled "Vintage Office Machines"...so I figured electro-mechanical "adders" was appropriate herein.

Plus this section has not been used, much, in the past...so I thought I would try to breathe some life into it.

13-9-2022 21:33:19  #33

BTW...on the Olivetti :  Seller had indicated it stopped working when he pressed a lot of keys all in a short period of time.

I thought it might have been a blow glass-fuse...but this machine does not have it.

After I cleaned years of ribbon/ink gunk, paper dust, and old dried was-like grease from the machine, I plugged it in and the machine sprang to life.

I think I see a bi-metallic thermal over-load device near the capacitor...which may be self re-setting after the over-amp heat condition has cooled down.

On some other machines, the over-load device has a red reset plunger you can push in to reset once the bi-metallic device has cooled down, enough.

14-9-2022 05:40:17  #34

aha, Got it, already a section and this is in it. I was not paying attention.

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Mike,

This section in the Forum is titled "Vintage Office Machines"...so I figured electro-mechanical "adders" was appropriate herein.

Plus this section has not been used, much, in the past...so I thought I would try to breathe some life into it.

- Be kind 

18-9-2022 07:37:08  #35

My Hermes calculating machine is sans-a-case.

Took a gamble on this nice case (with a Tower machine) for $ 13 USD.

Figured if the machine cannot be made to come back to life...that my Hermes will have a nice case.

18-9-2022 16:24:04  #36

That Tower case should clean up nicely. 

- Be kind 

19-9-2022 10:44:15  #37

I think it will.  Also, I am optimistic the Tower machine will clean up and get back to work.

I believe the Tower was made by Underwood at this time.  Underwood had their "Add-Mate" model which is very alike except for their more rounded body cowlings...of which the Tower is much more angular.

IIRC...some Tower-branded manual typewriters were actually Underwood machines, too.

19-9-2022 10:50:08  #38

Have this Olivetti coming home in a week or so.  Sadly, also without a case.

19-9-2022 13:02:53  #39

Pete E. wrote:

I think it will.  Also, I am optimistic the Tower machine will clean up and get back to work.

I believe the Tower was made by Underwood at this time.  Underwood had their "Add-Mate" model which is very alike except for their more rounded body cowlings...of which the Tower is much more angular.

IIRC...some Tower-branded manual typewriters were actually Underwood machines, too.

I acquired an underwood just like that one. Works great but had to order some of that 5/16" ribbon from ribbons unlimited. I'll take some pictures soon and post. has a pretty nice case too.

- Be kind 

22-9-2022 08:48:47  #40

Bummer...eBay sent a note that the Tower machine & case seller had cancelled the sale and posted up a full refund.  Reason was "out of stock".  Maybe the seller had seller's remorse with my low winning-bid...??? Oh well...not to be.

Board footera