You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-7-2022 05:55:02  #11

Re: Torpedo 18b, brought home. Quick review.

robmck wrote:

I've a grey-keyed 18b and the W is doing exactly this.

Anyone know how to fix it? 

Can't remember where I read it but someone proposed the idea of filling in the top of the keys with something like urethane varnish to level out the top. But this sounds a little sketchy. 

- Be kind 

31-7-2022 09:48:27  #12

Can someone post an image of this? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about, and none of my Torpedo models have any issues with the keys.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-7-2022 16:25:53  #13

robmck wrote:

I've a grey-keyed 18b and the W is doing exactly this.

Anyone know how to fix it? 

Hey Robmck
Take a shot of that W key sometime, as it would be helpful to illustrate this issue that happens on some Torpedos. 

- Be kind 

31-7-2022 19:31:29  #14

Will do when I get back. I'm on the road this weekend. 

19-8-2022 15:38:16  #15

Finally gotten a chance to get back at this.

I've got nearly identical 1961 Torpedo 18bs, same year, only 7000 apart in serial numbers (only feature difference is typeface). The slightly newer one exhibits this problem, the other doesn't. A few months back, I really pressed the grey key-cap tops into the black key-cap bases, which worked pretty well. After a week or so of typing on it, it's just started to come back up again. It's not enough to be obvious at a glance, but you really notice it in your fingertips while typing (I've just gotten used to it because I love the feel of the key travel).

(Actually, now that I'm looking at it under a microscope, effectively, I see cracks. I don't know if that was my pressing the grey back down, or it was already there...)

I notice that on many of the keys on which the grey has started to lift, the grey plastic looks like it had leaked past the mold in the original casting. (See, especially, the W on the right half of the letter (closer to the camera)). The older machine without this problem doesn't show that. 

Here are photos of the machine with the problem (Nothing like using a macro lens on your keys to tell you it's time to clean them again). I've also included an H which does not have this problem as comparison to see how the grey sits with the black.

And here are a few from the other typewriter that's not so bad. The grey rests above the black, but fairly uniformly.

Apologies as this machine is new to me and hasn't been cleaned at all.

19-8-2022 15:39:51  #16

Oh my. Looks like dentistry... 

14-9-2022 06:46:03  #17

FYI: The distortion of the keys found on the 18b from 1961 that I previously owned was much more noticeable than what can be seen in the photos included above. This was easy to see with the eye while seated in front of the typewriter. It was definitely noticeable to the touch (I found this to be the greatest disappointment).

Board footera