You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-9-2022 05:51:05  #1

White "Powder" On All Internal Metal?

Just got a 1959/60Torpedo 18b.
There is a dry, white "powder" substance stuck on all internal metal parts. I have scraped at a small amount; it does come off.
My question is; what is this stuff and what is the best way to get it off, and with what?
The rest of the machine is as expected. Stuck keys, in need of a ribbon, needs new rubber feet, platen is hard, but maybe ok.
Thanks for any help.

17-9-2022 07:10:03  #2

Re: White "Powder" On All Internal Metal?

Hi Auggie,

You might have what is called "white rust"...which is an oxidation of metals with zinc content.

I had some on my Torpedo 18s...used a product called PB Blaster (available in the States) with nylon brushes that got rid of it.  Did all the clean up outside in my driveway/garage for ventilation.

PB Blaster will help clean the segment and links for those stuck-keys as well.

PB Blaster leaves a very strong smell...so I followed up the PB Blaster after 1-2 days with a good cleaning with denatured alcohol and let the machine air-out in my garage for several days.

Others, here on the Forum, with more experience might have other ideas and methods.  Hopefully they will share.

17-9-2022 07:47:23  #3

Thanks Pete E.
That sounds like the powder stuff.
I wonder what we have here in Canada that is similar to PB Blaster, hmmmmm.

17-9-2022 08:07:13  #4

PB Blaster is available in Canada. If I remember correctly, I bought some at Canadian Tire.

17-9-2022 09:18:33  #5

You are correct sir.
Just got back from CT with a can.
Thanks

Board footera